Female betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraZ4fiSHieS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought this fish thinking it was female, but when we intro'd it to another betta and it poofed out to do that dominance thing its fins looked diff than a females, more like maybe an under-developed male. Anybody know?? :/ Just wondering. It has a double fin thats kinda longer on the underside like the males, not a single short one like the females. And The top fin seems a little longer too, but the tail seems rounded like the females. Im kinda confused with this he/she. :*) I'll try to get a couple of angles on here, I kno its hard to see cause he/she is over blue rocks! Sorry!

Attachments

• Picture_036.jpg
    Picture_036.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 73
last one Sorry these are all so Blurry! I cant get ANY pics of my tanks in focus... (Any suggestions on that? I see beautiful pics on here and wonder how they're so clear!)

Attachments

• Picture_035.jpg
    Picture_035.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 69
She/he looks very different to the females that I had. Looks morelike a male - some of them have quite short fins and can be mistaken for females.

Couple of possible reasons

1. You could simply have a female that was fin nipped by other fish in the shop, giving the female appearance.
2. Your tank looks very bare at one side. In my experience, Bettas and indeed all fish benefit greatly from somewhere to hide from the rest of the world, i.e. a hidey hole in an ornament or a plant with drooping branches to hide under. Fish that may feel vulnerable will become aggressive, give them somewhere to hide, and this may help
3. Transvestite fish :D

Kryten

"2. Your tank looks very bare at one side."

just to let you kno im not a neglectant mom, :rolleyes: I just got this betta and the tank he/she is currently in is my quarantine tank that I put them in for a couple days to make sure no disease develops. :nod: Think he/she will be alright with 3 other females?? Thanks :thumbs:

Thats cool, some people keep bettas in a jam jar with nothing in, good to know that you give them the respect they deserve by giving them something bigger

They should all be fine together. If you have a male here, he will have the pick of the ladies, if you have a female, after a short period of adjusting, they will all get on fine, like a house on fire :thumbs:

all females have a white spot under thier bellys check that betta and see if it has one it looks like a male to.

wow i did not know that white spot thing! i always thought it was just poop or something! :lol: Just checked and its a she! :rolleyes: maybe its a butch betta! :lol: Thanks for the help everybody! I'll let ya kno how they all do together after a while, so far theres a lot of gill puffing! :lol: I love these girls! :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Back