Female Betta Care

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deanoliv

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a female Betta. She's in a 47l planted tank with heating and filtration. 0 Ammonia and Nitrite. 10 Nitrate with 6.5 PH.

She has been in a few weeks, great lil character. But the last few days she has started staying near the top corner or laying at the bottom in the plants, not eaten for a day and now and again rubbing against a rock and substrate.

I thought it could be Ich at first but cannot see anything on her. The change has been quite sudden, she's not displaying any stress strips and I am not sure what to do. Could over feeding be a issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Dean

No she looks fine, she is going up to the food today but just not having the final step and actually eating it

Hello,

I have a female Betta. She's in a 47l planted tank with heating and filtration. 0 Ammonia and Nitrite. 10 Nitrate with 6.5 PH.

She has been in a few weeks, great lil character. But the last few days she has started staying near the top corner or laying at the bottom in the plants, not eaten for a day and now and again rubbing against a rock and substrate.

I thought it could be Ich at first but cannot see anything on her. The change has been quite sudden, she's not displaying any stress strips and I am not sure what to do. Could over feeding be a issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Dean
What are you feeding her? How much per feeding? How many feedings per day?

It's great that you're taking good care of your female Betta in a well-maintained tank. It's concerning to hear that she's been acting differently recently. Here are some steps you can take to try to address the issue:
  • Parasites: Ich is a common parasite that can cause fish to rub against objects in the tank. However, since you have not seen any white spots on your betta, it is less likely that this is the cause. Other parasites, such as velvet disease or anchor worms, can also cause fish to rub against objects.
  • Bacterial infections: Bacterial infections can also cause fish to rub against objects and lose their appetite. Some common bacterial infections in bettas include fin rot and body rot.
  • Water quality issues: Poor water quality can also cause fish to become sick and stressed. This can lead to a number of symptoms, including loss of appetite, rubbing against objects, and lethargy.
  • Stress: Stress can also cause fish to lose their appetite and rub against objects. Stress can be caused by a number of factors, such as poor water quality, overcrowding, or bullying from other fish.
Overfeeding can also be an issue, but it is less likely to cause the symptoms that you are describing. Overfeeding can lead to water quality issues, which in turn can cause fish to become sick.
If you are not sure what is causing your betta's symptoms, it is best to consult with a veterinarian or experienced aquarist. They can help you to diagnose the problem and recommend the appropriate treatment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back