Feeling Proud - Just Nipped Out For Lunch And Prevented Some Poor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Was browsing this crappy little pet supply store in Farnborough town centre, only place I can at lunch time, when spotted this couple who were obviously setting up a new tank.

I needed help to get something from a higher shelf, and asked the bloke to reach it cos he was way taller than me, a good pretence to start speaking to them. :nod:

I discovered that the 1g tank they were buying was mean to hold 2 goldfish(!) they were planning on getting for their son. I asked if they knew much about keeping fish (no they didn't) and explained a little bit about the problems of keeping goldfish in that small a tank. I actually managed not to sound outraged.

The woman was absolutely horrified but the guy was like 'hang on, I had them as a kid and they were fine...', fortunately the woman had more sense and asked me some other questions. They'd been to some shop and asked questions about setting up a tank but weren't told anything about what happens to goldies in a small tank, about cycling, about testing water etc etc

I don't know much, but know enough to explain about setting and cycling a new tank and to suggest a couple of hardy beginner fish for their son to look after (trusty old danios :nod:), as well as recommend a good LFS (Lynchford Aquatics in North Camp for those who're interested) that would give them better advice and sell healthy fish and a place that sells decent priced equipment (Badshot Lea Garden Centre), as well as a decent range of fish.

I also recommended they visit this forum for further advice and they left the shop empty handed (I had to buy something to make up for the looks the assistant was giving me :/) with the intention of doing some research before going any further.

I feel like I've done my good deed for the week - how about you guys?
:angel:
Ami

Well done!

But I had 2 goldfish in a tank that size when I was young and they were fine so....

Just kidding.

I have not complained about anything once today. I am considering that my good deed towards my colleagues :D

Well done!

But I had 2 goldfish in a tank that size when I was young and they were fine so....

Just kidding.

I have not complained about anything once today. I am considering that my good deed towards my colleagues :D

That's the problem with the goldfish scenario, most of us did have them in a small tank and they survived for years, so it's easy to understand why people are so incredulous when you try to explain to them.

Well done for not moaning about anything. I've had a highly stressful week with about 4 1/2 extra hours at work every day, my stats were sky high Monday and it's my fault, I managed to melt the heater in my betta tank (particularly annoying as I'd only had it a couple of days because it took over a week to get delivered - for which I paid £7.25 for a courier would you believe!), I broke the glass on a huge picture frame, had hell trying to sort out a wireless network and home and now have a fish with dropsy.

All in all a bad week so I reckon I've probably been complaining a lot.
:S

Nice one! That's what a true fish hobbyiest would have done! I would do it more if I had the guts to do it!!!

I try to do it all the time, it's the first time anyone's actually listened to me though.

Has given me the confidence to do it again now!

Give it ago Timmy, better than coming here and just complaining about 'what you saw some idiot buying in your LFS' - be pro-active!
:D
Ami

Well done!!! :clap: :cool: I did something like this to. I was at the awefull walmart and was looking at all the dead and sick fish and a lady picked up what looked like a 1g bowl and some gravel, went to the tanks and got a worker over there and pointed at the fish she wanted, they were to kinds of gouramis and a bala shark. I asked her if she was planning on putting these fish in this bowl and she said "yes". I was like :blink: So I told her those fish (the gouramis need at least a 10g with filter and heater and she had to cycle the tank) and the other fish (the bala shark) needed at least a 125g with filter and heater and the tank needed to be cycled and she would need two more. I was going to suggest a male betta but they didn't have any in stock. So she said "thanks for warning me" and she set the bowl and gravel down and said that she will have to think about it then. But you couldn't imagine the look this worker had on her face, it was like I can't believe you made me lose a sale. Then I said "sorry but I couldn't just watch her kill these fish by putting them in such a small and unheated and un airated tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back