Feeding?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BrucesOwner

Reaction score
So this is my first time having complete responsibility for a fish, and I have a double-tailed betta named Bruce. The box his tank came in said to feed him three times a week, so I've been feeding him every other day. But I just got my grandpa a fish for Father's Day, and the feed bottle said to feed him 2-3 times a day! How often should I feed them?

His tank is round, there are 2 plants, a log, and there's about 1 1/4 gallons of water. I'm feeding him on Aqueon Betta Pellets. The bottle says there's herring, wheat flour, soybeans, shrimp, krill, wheat germ, etc.

If it has a filter, get a bigger tank. If it doesn't have a filter, get a bigger tnk with a filter. After all that you can feed him 2-3 pellets daily. :D

Okay, thanks! But how big would I need, because I'm an amatuer owner and I don't have much money nor space!

Bruce is rather lazy, his idea of fun is staring at me and sniffing out the new things I put in his tank.

LOL. I think the reason he is rather lazy is because he is cold !
Bettas are normally quite active little fishes. The y come from Thailand where it is quite warm. To make him more active you'll need to heat his new tank. The ideal tem for bettas is 24-28 degrees Celsius ( sorry, you'll have to find out what that is in Fahrenheit mate! ).
The tank should be 5 gallons preferably but if your tight for money a 3 gallon would be good too. It would need a filter and a heater and then I'm sure Bruce will be one happy fishy! :D

IMO 5 gallon is so much better. If you can go bigger then do! You'll see a big difference in Bruce if you upgrade him.

+ 1 on the above comments and
welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, BrucesOwner!

2.5 gallons is the bare minimum I ever recommend someone to keep a betta in.  That way you can reliably heat and keep the water clean.  Although bigger is always better.  Truthfully, most times the cheapest option is to start with a bare 10 gallon from Walmart, add a cheap filter and a heater but there are kits out there with slightly smaller tanks if you don't have the room for a 10 gallon.  They just don't include a heater which is a requirement for a betta in this part of the world to keep the temperature warm and steady. 78F is the lowest I would keep a betta since they are tropical fish.  

As for the feeding,  the Aquenon betta pellets are nice and small so once you get his temperature up to the right temp, you can feed him about 5 or so a day.  You can spread it out two times a day or feed it too him once a day.  I don't suggest feeding him much more than you do right now since his metabolism is lower right now with the cooler temp and smaller tank.

Most reactions

Back