FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I feed my two plecos occasional algae wafers. They also have driftwood in the tank that they gnaw on. I drop in shrimp pellets occasionally too but never noticed the plecos eating them. I want to start feeding zucchini but find it awkward to use a fork to weight the zucchini down. I'm surprised they don't make a weighted angled clip to keep the zucchini flat on the bottom and properly feed the plecos.

If you have plecos, what do you use to hold the veggies down so the veggie lays flat and the plecos can easily eat them? Maybe I need to invent a properly angled weighted clip and sell them on Amazon.

I've seen people use a stainless steel spring sort of shape - it like screws into the veggies etc and then the fish just eat around it.

I found if you sliced it as a round rather than length ways it would stay down pretty good so never worried about a fork or anything else

If you have a microwave, nuke it on defrost a bit. This is similar to blanching in boiling water but easier. You may have to do a few slices to frgure out the right timeing. It will be warm when you take it out and wzarm means it will float. So put it into a clean container of cold water to get the temp. down. I uses a juice glass. if the slice sinks in the glass, it is ready to drop into the tank.

I am assumming you have the pleco identified as one which will want to eat zucchini. I work with Hypancistrus and they love neaty foods and I have never fed them zuke. I did feed it to my bristlenose when I kept them. I had veggies clips inititially and do not nuke the slice. But they attached to the tank gkass with a suction cup.

RTL50752B-2T.jpg

If you spend a lot more they come using a magnetic attachment. There are a variety of brands. Just do a Google for "veggie clip"

Are the plecos able to munch on the zucchini when using the suction cupped clip attached to the side glass?

I have two BN plecos. Can they eat apple slices?

I suggest you don’t blanch any veg. Some fish (most) like it fresh, some like it soft (it tastes different). Put it in fresh and let the fish eat it when it wants to. It’ll soon soften in water.

I had the same problem. What I've been using recently which has worked is to skewer the courgette/zuchinni into the edges of the driftwood. It's not perfect, but it does stick, and means I don't have to add any items to the tank to weight it down. If you have any driftwood that is stacked or near any other driftwood and is easy to move, you can try and jam a slice in between two pieces if that makes sense from my typing it, to you thinking it!

I feed my two plecos occasional algae wafers. They also have driftwood in the tank that they gnaw on. I drop in shrimp pellets occasionally too but never noticed the plecos eating them. I want to start feeding zucchini but find it awkward to use a fork to weight the zucchini down. I'm surprised they don't make a weighted angled clip to keep the zucchini flat on the bottom and properly feed the plecos.

If you have plecos, what do you use to hold the veggies down so the veggie lays flat and the plecos can easily eat them? Maybe I need to invent a properly angled weighted clip and sell them on Amazon.
what kind of plecos

Rubber band a chunk of raw zucchini to a rock or a piece of broken flower pot and drop it in. Replace after 24 hours. You will be surprised how much zucchini the will eat.

Most reactions

Back