Feeding Gourami Veg....

-germ-

Rheophilic....
Reaction score
I've tried to feed my gourami spinach before as i was told (accurately i hope) it'd be good for them.
Needless to say they completely ignored it. I blanched it as directed and have tried various different tank positions and methods for keeping it anchored.
Would shredding it to resemble flake work?
Any other veg that may be appreciated or tricks that may encourage them to eat it?
Also is it actually that benificial? I'm sure i could not feed anything else for a couple of days and expect them to eat it once really peckish but wouldn't the cons outweigh the pros in this instance?
In advance of any replies; Thanks :good:

My dwarfs like cucumber or cooked, shelled peas. I discovered, quite by accident that they like steamed brocolli as well. Not sure if they should be fed brocolli but my daughter decided she didn't want hers and dropped it in the tank when i was out of the room :crazy:

Hope that helps. and if anyone out there knows if feeding brocolli on occasion is okay, could you let me know?

I have never tried feeding mine spinach, but I do give them (blanched) zucchini, peas, and the flowering part of broccoli. They all love it, not only my gouramis.

I cut the vegetables in small parts for the bottom and mid water fish, and hang them on a piece of fishing rope for the gourami.

I've never tried spinach either but they may simply dislike it. Try a different veg. Most gouramies are omnivorous and, in the wild, eat plenty of plant material so it's good to replicate this. Many of mine will actually start destroying the aquarium plants if I don't supplement their diet! But I wouldn't starve them to get them to eat it. If you are worried about providing them with a balanced diet, while most flakes fulfill this role anyway (albeit in a rather boring way :p), spirulina flakes or algae wafers are usually taken readily and will work as a veg. substitute.

All my fish love Courgette (zuchini). The last piece I put in was about 1 1/2 inch diameter and an inch thick - It was gone within 36 hours and the fish then had a fast day the next day because they all looked so fat! One of my Dwarf Gourami in particular will stand guard on it seeing off all my cherry barbs and the other Gourami (including the male twice her size). The oto and corys seem to get a look in during the night but during daylight hours its hers alone!

I tie it to a teaspoon with a bit of black cotton, it takes a few hours for it to sink on its own.

Mark

Yeah, when i had dwarfs they both loved cucumber, blanche it for thirty seconds and stick a tea spoon through it then just drop it onto the substrate and he should hopefully eat it, if he doesn't it prob. means that he has enough good food to eat and doesn't need the nutrition that it provides. :good:

My dwarves love cucumber as well. I usually drop a few pieces in for my BN plecos and they immediately zoom down and claim whichever they wanted.

Gourami duly tested and veg results collated :p
Cucumber=no
Peas=eventually
Spinach=no
Algae wafers=Yum!
Broken down courgette=Yum!
Thick sliced courgette=picked at but eventually ignored
Kale=Yum!
Broccoli=no
Frozen veg blocks=no
Tank algae=Yum!
Does anyone know if blanched potato could do them any damage? Apart from peas and spinach i rarely have the others in the house, and i've ended up with alot of wasted veg....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back