Feeding Different Species In Same Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BaileyNothstine

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum, I thought I might try here instead of YahooAnswers 
yes.gif

Anyways, I have 4 Goldfish, 4 Balloon Mollies, 2 Zebra Loaches, and a Pleco in the same *large* tank.  I feed my Goldfish Goldfish flakes, Mollies "tropical" fish flakes, Loaches & Pleco a bottom feeder tablet.  I need to buy algae tablets for the Pleco, this is only my second day with these fish.  Anyways, of course my Goldfish will eat anything and everything.  They go after the tablet for my Loaches.  Today I could feed the mollies separately because they were on the opposite side of the tank, however it didnt take the Goldfish long to go and eat some flakes.  So, am I doing everything right?  Am I feeding everything the right food?  Also, I need to know how much to feed each fish (excluding Goldfish) and how many times a day to feed them.  Thanks! 

Feeding multiple species can be quite an issue in a mixed tank. Some fish will be more aggressive and eat all the food meant for others. Luckily many species do thrive on the same food types. So sometimes you have to trick the fish by placing food at one end, then the other, by placing some food around a plant that a particular species lives in or inside of something that a larger fish simply can't fit into but the small guys can. The key is to have the types of food your fish need (like you mention some get flake and some get algae tablets/wafers) and to watch to make sure everyone in the tanks gets something to eat and employ one of these tricks, or a clever one of your own, to make sure that happens. 

By the way, we have a strong opinion that we're way better than YahooAnswers. ;)

I agree with Chad, but there may be another issue here that should be mentioned.  And that involves the mix of goldfish and tropicals, which pertains to the food but also other things.

Goldfish are temperate or even cold water fish, but the others mentioned are tropical.  It is not possible to suit both in the same tank.  I would strongly suggest separating out the goldfish before this present state causes issues for either the goldfish (if forced into warm temperatures) or the tropicals (if not provided with suitable temperature).

As for the food, I believe goldfish have different dietary requirements from tropicals.  I will leave it to any nutrition experts to comment, but there may be issues with long-term feeding of inappropriate foods.  Goldfish and tropical fish foods are different.

As to the feeding, using an upper-water food (flake or floating pellet) and a substrate or sinking food is common in tropical community tanks.  I feed both types every day, and while some of the upper fish will inevitably eat the substrate fish's food, in part, this is not an issue provided the substrate fish do get sufficient.  Feeding in total darkness a couple hours after the tank and the room are in complete darkness can often ensure the substrate fish get some food, as these will more likely be nocturnal or semi-nocturnal and find the food before the upper fish are aware it is there.

Except for fry, it is best not to feed too much.  Once a day, and even missing a day or two each week, is more than sufficient for healthy mature fish.

Just a quick comment applicable to both the temperature and feeding frequency:  inappropriate temperatures, as with too much food, cause serious issues for fish.  The temperature affects their metabolism, driving it in fact.  And excess feeding also affects the metabolism, driving it up.  All of this does impact fish long-term, weakening their immune systems among other things.

Byron.

That's a very good point. I'm glad you picked up on that one! I missed it, didn't even think of it, but it's so true. 

I agree with Chad, but there may be another issue here that should be mentioned. And that involves the mix of goldfish and tropicals, which pertains to the food but also other things.

Goldfish are temperate or even cold water fish, but the others mentioned are tropical. It is not possible to suit both in the same tank. I would strongly suggest separating out the goldfish before this present state causes issues for either the goldfish (if forced into warm temperatures) or the tropicals (if not provided with suitable temperature).

As for the food, I believe goldfish have different dietary requirements from tropicals. I will leave it to any nutrition experts to comment, but there may be issues with long-term feeding of inappropriate foods. Goldfish and tropical fish foods are different.

As to the feeding, using an upper-water food (flake or floating pellet) and a substrate or sinking food is common in tropical community tanks. I feed both types every day, and while some of the upper fish will inevitably eat the substrate fish's food, in part, this is not an issue provided the substrate fish do get sufficient. Feeding in total darkness a couple hours after the tank and the room are in complete darkness can often ensure the substrate fish get some food, as these will more likely be nocturnal or semi-nocturnal and find the food before the upper fish are aware it is there.

Except for fry, it is best not to feed too much. Once a day, and even missing a day or two each week, is more than sufficient for healthy mature fish.

Just a quick comment applicable to both the temperature and feeding frequency: inappropriate temperatures, as with too much food, cause serious issues for fish. The temperature affects their metabolism, driving it in fact. And excess feeding also affects the metabolism, driving it up. All of this does impact fish long-term, weakening their immune systems among other things.

Byron.
I have 2 convict cichleds 4 neon tetras a gold fish pleco and anothercichlid . Any advice on feeding them ? The convicts are fine the others are as well but that third ciclid eats everything

Hi Mudd and welcome to the forum :)

Can you start a new thread for your feeding issue? This current one is really old and it's easier to follow individual threads rather than mixed threads :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back