Feeding Babies

SherriX2

New Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA,NC
what is the best food to feed 32 baby platys and 5 baby mollies? I would like for them to grow fast BUT healthy.Right now I have them all in a 29 high. They are 4 sets in there.Ages from 5 weeks to 1 week.All still very small. I do have a 10 gal to more the largest ones to once they get bigger then the last born and try to eat then.
 
I'm interested to use hear what other people on here post, but personally at the moment I am using Liquifry No. 2, (for livebearers) to feed my guppy babies that 'appeared' in the last week.
 
I raised mine on vegetables, flakes or granules. Most livebearers eat a lot of veg or algae naturally, so I used boiled lettuce and spinach - available all the time for them to graze on and changed daily. Fry are ALWAYS hungry.

I live in Australia where there's a chain a bit like Wal-mart where they sell 'betta' food. It's totally unsuitable for bettas as the granules are far too small but it's high in protein and they grow very fast on it.

I also used crushed flakes. Put some flakes in a shot glass or medicine cup or something like that. Wet them and then add a few more mls of water. Use the tip of an eye dropper to break them up and then suck the resulting 'soup' in and out of the eye dropper very fast. You will end up with a heap of crushed bits of flake. Pour the liquid off because it will foul the water - only bacteria can eat pieces that tiny. Feed the rest to your fry.

You can also use live foods like brine shrimp or microworm, but these are more expensive and time consuming to produce. With livebearers, the fry are born so developed that you can start them on whatever the adults eat provided you crush it up small enough. I don't bother with expensive live food with livebearer fry because the difference in their growth and survival rates is too slight for it to be worth it. I save the feed money for buying really, really good food for the adults, which definitely thank you for feeding them well by being colourful and active.
 
its not just feeding you have to think about, its water changes and cleanliness too!
depending on the fry type (livebearer fry or hatched from egg fry) there are different things you can feed.
livebearer fry such as platys guppys mollys etc are born slightly bigger i find, so can tolerate slightly bigger food. i used to feed them crushed flake but thid didnt have a high enough % of protein in, so i switched to brine shrimp and red mozzie larvae chopped up. they do great on this. also i do 50% water changes in there tank every other day to disperse the 'growth hormones them and growing adults secrete into the water. if the water changes are not done, i find the fry grow at a much slower rate. also heat is a factor. the warmer my fry tanks, the faster they grow. if i dont keep the temp at a steady 26/27 i find my fry dont grow so well.

if you have fry hatched from eggs they are much smaller and therefore i feed them on newly hatched brine shrimp and do 50% daily water changes.

just the way i do it and my fry grow fast.
 
Frozen BBS( Baby Brine SHrimp). Its very nutritious, makes the fry grow twice as fast ( im not kidding or over exaggerating whatsoever!).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top