Feeder Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catfishblues

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an african reed fish that I would like to feed some feeder fish to. (not as a staple diet but occasionally because it's cool) From what I've read and heard feeder fish from petstores are sick, full of fat, and not very nutritious. I have a koi pond full of mosquito fish that eat algae, mosquitos and other insects, and what ever koi food they can nibble at before the koi eat it. Would these be suitable feeders?

I think keeping your fish healthy is way cooler than watching him kill other fish that might (or might not) make him sick.

I am also curious about the nutritional value of mosquito guppies, as I am in pretty much the same boat. Except it's my catfish that need snacks. I know some people hate live food, but Its hard to pass up a thriving, and FREE supply of fish food.

Also ghost shrimp... they are super cheap and I think easy to breed.

I have used Mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) as feeders in the past. Mostly for some Amazon Leaf Fish that I had. I kept the Mosquitofish in a pond, much as you describe, and just scooped them out as I needed. Definitely better than the sick, crowded comets from the LFS.

An alternative to feeder fish would be earthworms and mealworms, these are high in protein and I personally find my bichirs, and previously when I had them my reedfish, love them and can obviously smell them in the water as they went into hunter mode as soon as I dropped some in.

Also whilst this is still killing a living creature, the mealworms and earthworms used are ones intended for this purpose, and so would come to the same fate, with or without me

Thanks. Now time for another question about my shovelnose... but I should prolly jump over to the catfish section for it.

An alternative to feeder fish would be earthworms and mealworms, these are high in protein and I personally find my bichirs, and previously when I had them my reedfish, love them and can obviously smell them in the water as they went into hunter mode as soon as I dropped some in.

Also whilst this is still killing a living creature, the mealworms and earthworms used are ones intended for this purpose, and so would come to the same fate, with or without me

pesticides and insecticides?

Just a word of caution. If you can guarantee them free from such chemicals then by all means....but just be sure.

If they're bred for animal consumption then you should be ok, but I agree don't sling in any old worm you find lying under a rock.

I am also curious about the nutritional value of mosquito guppies, as I am in pretty much the same boat. Except it's my catfish that need snacks. I know some people hate live food, but Its hard to pass up a thriving, and FREE supply of fish food.

Also ghost shrimp... they are super cheap and I think easy to breed.
btw ghost shrimp are easily optained and pretty cheap BUT they are not easy to breed and the eggs either dont hatch quickly enough or get eatin by the fish in the tank but i would suggest guppys and you can get them from breeders (such as myself) who will usually have them in good condition. also ghost shrimp are cool to feed but they wont fill your exitment for them getting eatin because they are small but i wouldnt suggest goldfish as you said they are fatty and can carry deseases but they might get addicted and want them and not eat normal food so b careful also you can get frozen food which they should love. :)

I have an african reed fish that I would like to feed some feeder fish to. (not as a staple diet but occasionally because it's cool) From what I've read and heard feeder fish from petstores are sick, full of fat, and not very nutritious. I have a koi pond full of mosquito fish that eat algae, mosquitos and other insects, and what ever koi food they can nibble at before the koi eat it. Would these be suitable feeders?

sure..

Feeders can be a source of sickness to help avoid this I would recommend Keeping the feeders in a separate area such as a 20 gallon aquarium. Feed the feeders food once or twice a day. Try to not give feeders to your fish unless you know they aren't sick. The reason for this being, when you feed sick fish feeders to your fish, your fish will most likely get sick too. I usually wait a week or two to see if any of my feeders show signs of weekness then I feed the healthy ones to my fish. Or you can feed your fish you have personally bred to your fish. Feeding personally bred fish as feeders, is usally the safest way to feed your fish. However everyone has there own opinion on these things. I hope this helps.

I visit my local fish monger once month and he gives me the offcuts, I ask for sea fish only to prevent transfer of disease, my fish love it, i use ice cube trays so i can defrost a little at a time. great use of free resources and much more humane than feeders.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back