Feed/Fertilizer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm a total newbie to live plant care.
I'm looking for recommendations for feed/fertiliser (don't know what I need) to keep my Java ferns, Anubias and Moss balls healthy please? Needs to be invertebrate safe please.
Also how often does it need to be used?

Last edited:
Those are all plants which feed from the water column so you need a liquid fertiliser. They are also slow growing so they need less than the bottle will say.
In the UK, the most highly recommended liquid ferts are Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Tank and TNC Lite (just those two, they do make others will similar names so make sure which one). I use the Seachem one and have shrimps and snails. I dose half the recommended amount once a week the day after a water change (if I remember :blush: ) I would start off with quarter of what they recommend and give it a few weeks to see how the plants do.

Root tabs are not usually used for java fern and anubias as they are normally grown attached to decor rather than rooted in the substrate.

Those are all plants which feed from the water column so you need a liquid fertiliser. They are also slow growing so they need less than the bottle will say.
In the UK, the most highly recommended liquid ferts are Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Tank and TNC Lite (just those two, they do make others will similar names so make sure which one). I use the Seachem one and have shrimps and snails. I dose half the recommended amount once a week the day after a water change (if I remember :blush: ) I would start off with quarter of what they recommend and give it a few weeks to see how the plants do.

Thank you

My Java ferns came pre-attached to rocks but the Anubias was just loose, is it best to attach it to something then? If so, what can I use to attach it on with please?

I use sewing thread. It does eventually rot but by that time the plant has attached itself. It is possible to use superglue made of cyanoacrylate, but the decor must be dry and the plants leaves wrapped it a wet paper towel until the glue sets.

I use sewing thread. It does eventually rot but by that time the plant has attached itself. It is possible to use superglue made of cyanoacrylate, but the decor must be dry and the plants leaves wrapped it a wet paper towel until the glue sets.

Sewing thread sounds the easier option for me then.
Does the sewing thread need to be removed?

It will rot eventually. When it does, I pick out the bits just in case any fish try to eat them.

What co2 level is best for the plants please?
The JBL water test that I use for my aquariums shows some co2 readings but I don't really understand it.

Some of my plants are starting to get brown spots, what would cause it?

I don't add CO2 to either of my tanks. I have 2 types of plant - slow growing plants which don't need it and fast growing floating plants which can get CO2 from the air.
It's mainly those who have a lot of fast growing plants, dose fertiliser heavily and have strong lights who need to use CO2. The two plants you mention - java fern and anubias - don't need added CO2. Fish breathe out CO2 and the bacteria in the substrate break down fish poo etc to CO2; this is plenty for slow growing plants.

If you could post photos of the brown spots, one of the plant experts should be able to help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back