Favourite Floaty Fish?

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Looking into getting some different floaty fish for my 170L once I rehome my pearl gourami. I'd like to try something new, and so far I've kept pearl gourami and guppies as floaty fish that stay pretty high up in the tank.

What's your favourite kind of fish like this? I've been looking into honey gourami as my first option, but if anyone has any recommendations or personal favs, I'd love to hear about them. I'd just like my tank to look more "populated", since most of my favourite fish are bottom feeders, so there's currently very little activity at the top of the tank.

Any suggestions are helpful!

Marbled hatchet fish, but proceed with caution, they're notorious for jumping, need a tight fitting lid, and great care when feeding/performing WC's

Here's a pic of mine I had a few years ago

Attachments

• hatchets.jpg
    hatchets.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 54
Marbled hatchet fish, but proceed with caution, they're notorious for jumping, need a tight fitting lid, and great care when feeding/performing WC's

Here's a pic of mine I had a few years ago
Wow! Fatties! They look like teabags! Gorgeous colours and patterns though! I'll definitely give them a look!

Wow! Fatties! They look like teabags! Gorgeous colours and patterns though! I'll definitely give them a look!
They're fun to keep, they all stay together like that, right at the surface...that body shape lends itself to jumping, they have incredibly strong pectoral muscles for their size

They're fun to keep, they all stay together like that, right at the surface...that body shape lends itself to jumping, they have incredibly strong pectoral muscles for their size
Hmm... Might be a better fit for a tank with a sliding lid so the full lid doesn't have to come away. How much room do they need?

Hmm... Might be a better fit for a tank with a sliding lid so the full lid doesn't have to come away. How much room do they need?
My tank has a hinged lid; it is a 40B (40 US gallon), your 170L footprint is fine...you could keep them, no problem...just be sure the lid fits tight, and any openings for equipment are sealed off (I used cut up sponge, stuffed it into the holes)

My tank has a hinged lid; it is a 40B (40 US gallon), your 170L footprint is fine...you could keep them, no problem...just be sure the lid fits tight, and any openings for equipment are sealed off (I used cut up sponge, stuffed it into the holes)
Mmm, might not be too great for me then. Mine is also hinged with two different openings, and the cut-outs in the back of the tank are unreachable for my stumpy 5'4 self to reach. They've been the cause of a few snail escapes.

Mmm, might not be too great for me then. Mine is also hinged with two different openings, and the cut-outs in the back of the tank are unreachable for my stumpy 5'4 self to reach. They've been the cause of a few snail escapes.
Then nevermind, lol....they'll jump through the smallest openings, been there, done that...one actually jumped out and landed on top of my foot, he was an easy rescue...others, not so lucky...found them behind the tank after they had been deceased for quite a while...

Never heard them called “floaty fish” before. :lol:

Hm, I’m not really sure. I usually don’t go for centerpiece fishes - schooling are my thing. :) (not school, I don’t like school. :rolleyes:)

Then nevermind, lol....they'll jump through the smallest openings, been there, done that...one actually jumped out and landed on top of my foot, he was an easy rescue...others, not so lucky...found them behind the tank after they had been deceased for quite a while...
Didn't it start stinking of dead fish?
I'm experienced with escape artist moths... The death's head hawk moth is incredible at squeezing through tiny spaces in walls, ceilings, enclosures, e.c.t. I lost two in my bathroom when I had them for the first time (I keep them in the bathroom as it's humid and warm for tropical species) and haven't seen their bodies turn up since.

Never heard them called “floaty fish” before. :lol:
Got the term from my dad, actually!
Hm, I’m not really sure. I usually don’t go for centerpiece fishes - schooling are my thing. :) (not school, I don’t like school. :rolleyes:)
Usually I pick whatever I like, but I really like having a sort of layered look? My catfish and loaches are my bottom layer fish, the tetras are middle fish and gourami are top layer fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back