False Test Results - Opinions Please

Sheri_Baby

New Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California, USA
I established my FW 55 gal about two months ago, probably a little more than that. Gravel, 3 lg rock, plastic plants, 2 power filters. Started with Danios (12). Have added 1 pleco, 2 algae eaters (don't know what they are, but they're cute :D), 3 black skirts, two dwarf Ghouramis. Have not lost a fish.

At about four weeks, I had ammonia and nitrites present. Then, at about week 6, 0 nitrites with some nitrates. It was at this point I had a lot of algae growth and got the pleco and algae eaters. I also bought the second power filter and then made the stupid mistake of changing both filters in the 1st power filter. I added the second power filter at that time. Since then, I have had ammonia readings up to 4.0. 0 Nitrites. Nitrates at about 20.

My PH is low at 6.4. I've tried to raise it but can't. Then, I heard that ammonia is not toxic when the PH is low. So, I'm just leaving it alone.

I'm using an API master test kit. I've tested my tap water: 0 ammonia and PH is 7.6. I have also tested my tap water with the Stress Coat and AmmoLock added, and there is no ammonia reading.

I've been doing daily water changes for the last three days (off the top). I suspect that something I've been adding to the water is causing false readings on the ammonia. The fish appear to be very healthy and in no distress. Things I have used are (all API): Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, AccuClear, AmmoLock.

What are your opinions on the possibility of these being false testing results? Or, did I destroy my biological filter by changing both filter pads at once? My ammonia level does not even decrease slightly after 20% water changes.
 
Hi there Sheri_baby. I'm afraid that you probably have destroyed your biological filter by throwing it in the trash. Of all of the things that are going into your tank you only really need 2 of them. One is the fresh water from large partial water changes. The other is whichever of that witches brew of chemicals is the dechlorinator. The cycle is not just destroyed by the filter change but it can't get going again at extremely low pH. A large, 50% not just 20%, partial water change would go a long way to getting your ammonia down to about half what it was before the change and would probably also help with the pH since you would be getting rid of the acid effects of half of the nitrates that have been building in your tank. It might even give your cycle a chance to get started again.
 
If its the liquid drop based kit, I'm inclined to agree with Oldman.
 
My PH is low at 6.4. I've tried to raise it but can't. Then, I heard that ammonia is not toxic when the PH is low. So, I'm just leaving it alone.

I would like to see a discussion on this because I think it is a load of BS. I recently went to one of the largest LFS in UK (certainly NW) they apparently have a good rep but when testing my water and I asked what ammonia levels were the owner said I had a good PH so it is irrelevant. He went on to say it is a common misconception that ammonia is dangerous at neutral - low PH. There are articles on the net to suggest while the effect of Ammonia is reduced at lower PH the amount of ammonia required to harm you fish is less....

So are all the forums / articles incorrect or the majority of LFS?

Maybe a dedicated thread should discuss this sorry OP!
 
Hi there Sheri_baby. I'm afraid that you probably have destroyed your biological filter by throwing it in the trash. Of all of the things that are going into your tank you only really need 2 of them. One is the fresh water from large partial water changes. The other is whichever of that witches brew of chemicals is the dechlorinator. The cycle is not just destroyed by the filter change but it can't get going again at extremely low pH. A large, 50% not just 20%, partial water change would go a long way to getting your ammonia down to about half what it was before the change and would probably also help with the pH since you would be getting rid of the acid effects of half of the nitrates that have been building in your tank. It might even give your cycle a chance to get started again.

Should I do a gravel vac with that 50% water change? Can I safely rinse out my filters with the water I'm taking out...they're getting dirty?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top