External Filter Issue

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,229
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Beds, UK
Long story that I don't have time to explain properly (will later) but a quick question about a couple of external filters I've just picked up (along with a new tank.)

Two eheim external pro's were both cycled and running in a tank. I've moved the tank and filters (both stayed full of water) but when I got the tank home I couldn't remember how to get them running and was very late for work, so I left them. When I got back I got one running and this morning I've got the second running.

1st filter wasn't running for 14 hours, second one for 21 hours. Whats the chances the nitrifying bacteria are still okay?
 
What kind of load was in the tank? If the tank was ligtly stocked, you could have got away with it, but I would think it unlikely TBH :sad: Filter bacteria are large oxygen consumers, and when the run out of oxygen, they drop like flies. Some places I remember quoting 90% an hour die-off rate after running out of oxygen. A couple of hours is ususly nothing to worry about, but anyting more :crazy:

If there are fish in the tank, assume the worst and act as though you are fish-in cycling with twice daily water tests with waterchanges as required. Hopefully it won't be like that, but you won't know untill you test :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
Aye. It was a heavily planted tank and in moving everything its unearthed no end of crud which I've spent most of the morning trying to remove, not going to test until tomorrow when I can spend some real time getting rid of the remainder.

Theres no fish in there at the moment - all the fish that were with the tank have been rehomed in my other tanks, but I'll pop a cycled internal in there to be on the safe side and keep testing. Once I'm reasonably happy things have settled down I'll start moving fish in.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top