Experience With Maracyn Oxy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

coyemuse

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was recently told that maracyn oxy was the same as maracyn 1 and 2 type products and that it works just the same at treating bacterial problems. Has anyone had experience with this, is it true or should I go back and get something different?

Specifically with the fish I'm treating she has columnaris (according to the emergency forums)

http://www.sentrypetcare.com/products/ProductCatalog.asp?one=35&two=222&three=766&pr=13114

Here is a link to the maroxy page. Looks like a general anti-fungal/bacterial med.

I've read all the info on it. But I want to know what experience people have had, not just information about it.

Maroxy is more of a topical antiseptic/disinfectant, as stated in the link it's chlorine based. Maracyn is erythromycin, an antibiotic which is effective with most gram positive bacteria, and some gram negative bacteria. Maracyn II is a tetracycline based antibiotic, effective against gram negative & some gram positive bacteria.

There may be a bit of confusion in product names here, as Mardell does produce Maracyn Plus, which is a trimethoprim/sulfadimidine combination, more commonly sold as TMP sulfa. This will cover much of what using a Maracyn/Maracyn II combination would, being sulfa based it is more effective on some bacteria, less effective on others.

Maroxy is a good product for hatching angel eggs, been using this in combination with acriflavin & meth blue for years. For fish you could have the same effect for free, using chlorinated tap water. As far as columnaris & Mardell products, if your using Maracyn & Maracyn II, 50% water changes daily & redose, for 10 to 14 days. Wait for 10 minutes before adding dechlor to the replacement water, you'll have the same basic effect as Maroxy.

So i need to go back and find the other maracyn products to actually treat the illness in my tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back