Ex700 Or Ex1200 For 180l Tank?

david419

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hi, could i use a ex700 on a 180 tank or would i need to get the ex1200?
i am only using a fluval 205 at the moment so i need an improvement on that, will the ex700 be any better than the 205?
 
taken from another thread (below)

Digging up the past here. :rolleyes:

I've got the internal juwel filter running at 600L per hour and the external TetraTec EX700 running 700L per hour. Since my tank is a 180L The specs for the TetraTec EX700 says it is well suited up to a size of 250L. Does this mean I can remove the internal and not suffer any adverse conditions. I really dont think the internal does that much anyway since I have removed the fine cotton filter, Green Nitrate filter, and Black Carbon filter. Its probably only working in a biological sense but the external should be well capable of taking over the strain. The fish I have are in my signature below...(I am aware the sharks will get alot bigger!! :) they will be taken out in a few months, I'll enjoy them until then!)

Any suggestions would be great.


Maybe this thread will help you

<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/14...Tetratec-Ex700/" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/14...Tetratec-Ex700/</a>
 
You big issue with the 1200 will be the outlet causing a huge current.

As to the 700 I have found it easy to prime and quiet. I just got an xp3 rena and an eheim Ecco with a recent purchace and i rate neither against it. the design and ease of taking apart cleaning and restoring is great. my water is always clear too...
 
You big issue with the 1200 will be the outlet causing a huge current.

As to the 700 I have found it easy to prime and quiet. I just got an xp3 rena and an eheim Ecco with a recent purchace and i rate neither against it. the design and ease of taking apart cleaning and restoring is great. my water is always clear too...
thanks behold, do you think the 700 model will keep the tank water clearer that the fluval 205
 
You big issue with the 1200 will be the outlet causing a huge current.

As to the 700 I have found it easy to prime and quiet. I just got an xp3 rena and an eheim Ecco with a recent purchace and i rate neither against it. the design and ease of taking apart cleaning and restoring is great. my water is always clear too...
thanks behold, do you think the 700 model will keep the tank water clearer that the fluval 205

Yes :)
 
You big issue with the 1200 will be the outlet causing a huge current.

As to the 700 I have found it easy to prime and quiet. I just got an xp3 rena and an eheim Ecco with a recent purchace and i rate neither against it. the design and ease of taking apart cleaning and restoring is great. my water is always clear too...

I'm running an EX1200 on my 108l tank, with the spray bar on the shorter side of the tank it does create a hell of a current, but put it along the longer side, and point it at the side of the tank. Even on full power the EX1200 setup on the longer side doesn't create that much of a current.

I'd personally get the EX1200 as it allows you to upgrade to a bigger tank later.

Adam
 
You big issue with the 1200 will be the outlet causing a huge current.

As to the 700 I have found it easy to prime and quiet. I just got an xp3 rena and an eheim Ecco with a recent purchace and i rate neither against it. the design and ease of taking apart cleaning and restoring is great. my water is always clear too...

I'm running an EX1200 on my 108l tank, with the spray bar on the shorter side of the tank it does create a hell of a current, but put it along the longer side, and point it at the side of the tank. Even on full power the EX1200 setup on the longer side doesn't create that much of a current.

I'd personally get the EX1200 as it allows you to upgrade to a bigger tank later.

Adam
thanks Adam, i wont be upgrading my tank anymore as this tank is taking up loads of room already so will the ex700 do the job and keep the water realy clear? or would i have to get the ex1200.
 
I wouldn't go back and change the EX1200 for anything now. I had a Fluval 205 before and it was awful compared to this EX1200. It's so quiet, tons of media space, and plenty of tube to keep everything hiden. So easy to prime, and stays primed. The EX700 is good, but this is the best TetraTec in my opinion, but that's me :)

The more filtration you have, the better if you want clear water. More water goes through the filter, the clearer it will get.

Adam
 
I wouldn't go back and change the EX1200 for anything now. I had a Fluval 205 before and it was awful compared to this EX1200. It's so quiet, tons of media space, and plenty of tube to keep everything hiden. So easy to prime, and stays primed. The EX700 is good, but this is the best TetraTec in my opinion, but that's me :)

The more filtration you have, the better if you want clear water. More water goes through the filter, the clearer it will get.

Adam

It makes sense to get the 1200 if the current is not too strong. (You can adjust the flow anyway it will just strain it a bit but they seem bulletproof)

My 700 as standard cleaned my water perfectly. i now use floss as its cheaper than using the pre cut polishers. since using floss its super glass clear as i can cram a lot in them baskets as i don't use the carbon) I find it easy to maintain and service due to the ease of build. the 1200 will be no different.. as the design is identical just more flow...

When i have the money i will probably replace my XP3 for a 1200 as its easier to look after from the look of it.
 
If you have a lot of plants, I'd go for the 700. I have one on my 4ft tank, and I've added extra ceramic media in the bottom basket and an extra black bio sponge in the top basket (I don't use the carbon). Still a decent flow, but doesn't upset the fish or the plants. The Tetratecs are fabulous things, so easy to maintain. Just make sure they'll fit in the cupboard; I never even thought about the height when I bought mine. It fits in the cupboard with about two inches to spare, phew!!.
 
Id go for the biggests you can afford (EX1200), for one your tank will have alot more turnover which will make ur water clearer etc, secondly gives you a head start when you finally upgrade...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top