Evolution of the LED

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
This is an area where there has been intense development in the last 5 years or so, think car and home lighting.
Today I received a new 3' Nicrew LED unit. Its the classic G2 so nothing special. The last time I bought a light that was not included with a tank was over 10 years ago. On that occasion it was an Arcadia stretch 3' (subsequently rebranded to Classica) to replace a failed T5 system. Both units are 32W on the primary channel (FWIW) and today the Arcadia retails at about 3x the price of the Nicrew. I have been using the Arcadia on my new tank and wanted something that was dimmable without paying the silly price Arcadia want for their controller with proprietary connectors. I have also been seeing some BGA in the tank, but no sign of algae whatsoever. I had a suspicion the light was too red. The tank is only 12" high so I don't need a bright light - but 3' units are generally designed for deeper tanks than that - which is why I want to dim it.

Today I plugged in the new light. It looks well made and solid. I don't have any testing equipment but visually the light seem to be much whiter and really makes the colours in the fish and plants pop by comparison (even at 40% output). Its also far brighter. I am currently running it at 40% output which seem to be closest in intensity to the original unit. At 100% its pretty blinding by comparison. Looking at it now with just the new light on it seems much brighter than before. But I do know how easily human eyes can be deceived, which is why I made my visual comparisons side by side :). There are also a lot more LEDs and it reaches all the edges of the tank and the lighting looks pretty even. Since I am trying to tread the line between reducing BGA and getting good plant growth I have left it at 40% and left the duration untouched. I will keep assessing but for now I am blown away by the difference between new and old.

Disclaimer: I am not knocking the Arcadia. Bear in mind mine is over 10 years old and was probably used for 3-4 years before it retired to the garage to be resurrected for the new tank. I have no way to tell if its characteristics have changed since I bought it.

Does Nicrew lights have a lot of blue in them? Or is it mostly white? I’m looking down the road for a new light.

Now
20200805_181133.jpg

Then
LEDs are all white on the main channel. Blue "moonlight" for channel 2 but I don't plan to use those. As you can see the old light cast a distinct blue light on the wall. You can also see the RGB LEDs on the old pic. These are not visible to the naked eye but the phone pics them up.

Attachments

• 1596649013497.jpeg
    1596649013497.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 34
Have you done any measuring with your Dslr? I remember you mentioning this on another post, thought it was neat trick I need to have a go at

Now
View attachment 111830
Then
LEDs are all white on the main channel. Blue "moonlight" for channel 2 but I don't plan to use those. As you can see the old light cast a distinct blue light on the wall. You can also see the RGB LEDs on the old pic. These are not visible to the naked eye but the phone pics them up.
That look amazing.

Heard really good things about Nicrew. Chihiros are an other good looking Chinese led brand.

Tanks looking really nice!

Have you done any measuring with your Dslr? I remember you mentioning this on another post, thought it was neat trick I need to have a go at
No mate it was a work day - and quite a busy one at that ;)

I have the same light on my 22g and its great value.

They are well built and the fish really do pop and my plants have grown beautifully.

Most reactions

trending

Back