Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining!

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So my adorable kids have managed to break our 32" widescreen that was only 2.5yrs old and cost £1,000 after my daughter broke the previous t.v. that was only 18 months old!

So the loss adjusters will be in touch in a few days and will replace it like for like.

We've decided after all the disasters to wall mount the new t.v. and trunk the wires somewhere out of reach up the wall.

We have got the DVD player, Wii machine and Sky box to accommodate and I came up with a cracker :D

Hubby said yes :o

32" screen? 3 foot wide gap? 3 consumer electrical items needing a cabinet to live in? Wires need hiding behind something quite big?

LMAOOOO A NEW TANK I thought I'd never have lol! I have a 4 foot in the lounge too, so now I get a new 3 foot as well!

How flaming exciting! I am going to go for a darker sand and rock set up, i.e no plants, see if I can get a 3 foot but deep and high tank of about 80 gallons pr even a large corner tank and have a pale/gold/albino looking crew like

Keyhole Cichlids
Apisto Borelli Umbrella Yellow
Gold Severum
Festivum
6 Albino Cories

OK so it won't be happening JUST yet but I am excited :D
 
Grats on the new tank, though the circumstances under you getting one could be better.

I would have thought the fish you listed would have liked the addition of plants though, and a severum may be cramped in a 3ft tank (though if it is deep you might be able to get away with it).
 
Naaa! a Severum should be fine in a 3ft (only just mind)... You go for it girl.... :good:
 
Congrats, wish my other half was as accommodating :(
 
tbh I was thinking 3 x 2 x 2 which is 90 gallons but severums dig up plants :/

The alternative is to move some of my plants to a 3 foot and put the severum in the 4 foot but it's only a 55 gallon, still it has a good footprint on it
 
A 3'x2' is borderline, up until a couple of months ago I would have seen it would be fine, however after seeing an adult severum in a LFS, that was one stocky fish I got a new opinion of them. Providing it has heavy filtration and tankmates should be chosen wisely then I would say go for it. Though if it does turn out to be a beast of a fish, an upgrade might be in order (most severums don't reach the full 12", but they are stocky fish).

I havn't been able to keep any plants with my severum, its one of the reasons why I am thinking of giving it to a trusted LFS, the tank its in is the main living room display one, my Mum really doesn't like the tank without plants (its sandy with bogwood), and I have to agree, doesn't look as good as my other tanks. I am still undecided with what to do though, its a good fish, but unfortunately its a bully as well as a plant destroyer.
 
A 3'x2' is borderline, up until a couple of months ago I would have seen it would be fine, however after seeing an adult severum in a LFS, that was one stocky fish I got a new opinion of them. Providing it has heavy filtration and tankmates should be chosen wisely then I would say go for it. Though if it does turn out to be a beast of a fish, an upgrade might be in order (most severums don't reach the full 12", but they are stocky fish).

I havn't been able to keep any plants with my severum, its one of the reasons why I am thinking of giving it to a trusted LFS, the tank its in is the main living room display one, my Mum really doesn't like the tank without plants (its sandy with bogwood), and I have to agree, doesn't look as good as my other tanks. I am still undecided with what to do though, its a good fish, but unfortunately its a bully as well as a plant destroyer.

What fish do you keep your severum with shroob?
 
you're brave putting your electrical stuff under the fishtank!!! :unsure:
 
I have an oscar and 2 ornate polypterus (Though this is a temporary tank set up).
 
you're brave putting your electrical stuff under the fishtank!!! :unsure:

Nah not really, its an old DVD player and a totally replaceable sky box, the wii could go on top of the tank maybe, doesn't everyone keep their plugs and external filters in their cabinets?
 
Filters are designed to cope with a bit of splashing, we make sure plugs and extension leads are out the way and where possible raised off the floor. :unsure:

Appreciate that the electrical stuff is replacable, however water and electrics do not mix, you could start an electrical fire doing a hell of a lot of damage not just to the electrical goods but to the rest of the house.

your call but personally i wouldnt risk it.
 
Filters are designed to cope with a bit of splashing, we make sure plugs and extension leads are out the way and where possible raised off the floor. :unsure:

Appreciate that the electrical stuff is replacable, however water and electrics do not mix, you could start an electrical fire doing a hell of a lot of damage not just to the electrical goods but to the rest of the house.

your call but personally i wouldnt risk it.

I don't get it, how would the stuff get wet?
 
either you splash them when you're doing water changes and maintenance, or the tank cracks, leaks and wrecks everything.

i'm possibly a bit paranoid having had a tank spring a leak before
 
either you splash them when you're doing water changes and maintenance, or the tank cracks, leaks and wrecks everything.

i'm possibly a bit paranoid having had a tank spring a leak before

Ah well I wouldn't splash anything do a water change, I've never got the inside of the cabinet wet doing w/c, but yeah I agree if it cracks it would be game over for the entire lounge, including all the plug points etc. I could trunk the cables and put the appliances inside a box possibly so this would minimise the risks but if a tank leaks I think 90 gallons of water all over the living room would probably cause so much damage to so much of the room and the electrical points and other cables nearby this wouldn't really add to it because they could get soaked being in a t.v. cabinet next to the tank, the room is only about 13 foot and there's only so many places stuff could really go with or without putting it under the tank, if that makes sense. Owning large fish tanks is a law unto itself really.
 
lol yeah it does.

you must be much neater than me, doing water changes and maintenance i can drench stuff on the other side of the room :rolleyes:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top