England Vs Usa Football..

rossyt99

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone is watching the Football, apparantly the US Tv audience is meant to be boosted by the involment of Mr.Beckham (100th cap and all that)

J.Terry has just scored, but it is very low-tempo with the term 'meaningless friendly' very appropriate.

+Where is Freddy Adu> he was meant to be the star of US soccer a few years ago??

its his 101st cap isn't it. 100th against France

Bit boring, but then thats England however USA aren't a bad side anymore and we picked up towards the end with some decent football

Bit boring, but then thats England however USA aren't a bad side anymore and we picked up towards the end with some decent football

So was the 'Golden Cap' handed to Beckham by B.Robson for his 100th cap attained in previous game? Either way, if the England team was picked on form, then he should not have started.

(D.Bentley, A.Lennon, J.Pennant or J.Cole are doing it in the Premier League.) + SWPhillips will once he gets a game at Newcastle!

So was the 'Golden Cap' handed to Beckham by B.Robson for his 100th cap attained in previous game? Either way, if the England team was picked on form, then he should not have started.

(D.Bentley, A.Lennon, J.Pennant or J.Cole are doing it in the Premier League.) + SWPhillips will once he gets a game at Newcastle!

Apparently so was it Bobby Charlton who presented it

Joe Cole plays on the left so has a steady and assured place for England there.
Jermaine Pennant never gets a game for Lpool and could never be compared to David Beckham even at 33(most Lpool fans would prob agre at that)
Aaron Lennon. lots of promise doesn;t deliever and for all his pace and trickery. How effective is he? not very
Shaun Wright Phillips. good player but is wasting himself at Chelsea and often looks short on confidence probably as a result of that
Bentley. excellent prospect.. didn;t show that tonight and I thought Beckham was excellemt tonight and personaly would always start wit hhim whilst he is fit. Foreign coaches cannot understand the English mentality of knocking a player who is a class act . He showed tonight he is still a very effective player

Whilst he plays in states he will never be picked on form but instead be picked for the fact he is one of the few "class" English players

Football is certainly a matter of opinions..... Why continue to play an ageing right winger with no pace, when there are many other younger prospects> it's not as if we need Beckham for the Euro's! Cappello will now concentrate on the future and the 'Beck-Mania' can be left in America.

J.Cole could easily play on the right (+and has in past), I admit J.Pennant and A.Lennon can improve and SWP just needs to get action which he will once his move is complete.
D.Bentley is prob best option and I reckon a move is on cards for him soon. S.Gerrard could play there if he insists on him not in middle....With A.Young/ J.Cole on left.

Anyway, will they manage to beat Trinidad&Tobago in the next 'non-event'.?

(+It was B.Robson, unless B.Charlton has grown some hair)

Jermaine Pennant never gets a game for Lpool and could never be compared to David Beckham even at 33(most Lpool fans would prob agre at that)

Agreed :nod: would I swap Pennant for Beckham at Liverpool? No, because Pennant is much younger and could be at the club for years. But if he were already in my team like he is for England I'd pick Beckham.

To say he's not worth a place because he plays in America is all caused by press hype. He is a very experienced player and if he is still fit enough to run around the pitch, he is certainly talented enough to play the passes. If he stops delivering for England, then drop him. He only turned 33 this month, so he's hardly ancient and it's not unreasonable to expect him to be playing in the World Cup in 2 years time at 35, many players have played for England older then 35.

We've picked players based on league form before and it doesn't always work, you have to pick a team who play well together, not a bunch of individuals who are all playing well for themselves.

Whilst it was a meaningles friendly, I actually thought they played pretty well though I wasn't fully concentrating on the game.

I know I am biased, but I said when McLaren took over and was picking a captain that it was between Terry and Gerrard and I still think it is. I'd still choose Gerrard because apart from anything else I do like a captain to be in the middle of the pitch as well as leading by example.

Arfie

He certainly splits opinion and I love football for that reason. Beckham doesn't have pace.. agreed. But he didn't when he was lauded and voted as one of top 3 players in world. His game isn;t about pace and he is dangerous with the quality of the balls he plays rather than a run and whack it in winger like Lennon.

If hes good enough now play him to get us to tournament and I think he will still be good enough to play in next world cup cos you can never doubt his work rate and commitment

Nigel Winterburn classed him as best winger he played against despite lack of pace cos you couldn't get near him before he sent cross in. You don't need that pace.

I always think people find it almost fashionable to slate Beckhamwhen lets face it when he plays ihe consistently sets goals up. we need him in side for that alone cos I don't see any others bar Gerard having a similar effect for england

Well the T+T game was dissapointing.

Started well, we looked ruthless, Defoe was looking lively and I was hoping for getting close to double figures, then we just stopped playing. I didn't expect much in the 2nd half anyway, well I never do in friendlies with loads of subs being made and I got what I expected.

I thought Gerrard looked very ordinary as did Ashton, James was, well he was David James, but Joe Hart looked rubbish. Bentley didn't look great either when he came on. I thought Bridge and Downing looked like they could play well together and Jagielka looked good when he came on and Beckham was OK. Best player for me was Barry.

I expected more from the new boys you'd think they'd be desperate to show the manager what they can do. It'd be nice to see that ruthless streak where a much weaker team gets a proper mauling, but no such luck.

Arfie

Well the T+T game was dissapointing.

Started well, we looked ruthless, Defoe was looking lively and I was hoping for getting close to double figures, then we just stopped playing. I didn't expect much in the 2nd half anyway, well I never do in friendlies with loads of subs being made and I got what I expected.

I thought Gerrard looked very ordinary as did Ashton, James was, well he was David James, but Joe Hart looked rubbish. Bentley didn't look great either when he came on. I thought Bridge and Downing looked like they could play well together and Jagielka looked good when he came on and Beckham was OK. Best player for me was Barry.

I expected more from the new boys you'd think they'd be desperate to show the manager what they can do. It'd be nice to see that ruthless streak where a much weaker team gets a proper mauling, but no such luck.

Arfie

crap pitch crap opposition.

I have fingers crossed for Capellos reign .If he is strong enough to drop Lampard and play Barry permanently witH Gerard and get the best out strikers we could be decent. McLaren got an improvement when Lampard was injured and he played Heskey Owen but for the big game against Croatia he went and changed it back!!!

Most reactions

Back