emergent plants photo dump

GaryE

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
11,297
Reaction score
20,585
Points
113
Location
Eastern Canada
We've been talking a bit about emergent plants, roots in the tanks. I thought I'd unload some pictures on everyone, of things that work here. I wandered the fishroom with my camera this morning, and here's what I got.
bamboo1.webp
biglily2.webp
bigpeacelily1.webp
bigsnake1.webp
bamboo1.webp
biglily2.webp
bigpeacelily1.webp
bigsnake1.webp
filterhobplants.webp
 
Some are well established, and some were started this week. Bamboo, pothos, peace lilies, polka dots, Chinese evergreen, reeds, Bacopa, pitcher plants, all kinds of stuff works.
 

Attachments

  • riverbank1.webp
    riverbank1.webp
    169 KB · Views: 22
  • swamptank.webp
    swamptank.webp
    294.3 KB · Views: 26
  • windowtangle.webp
    windowtangle.webp
    195.9 KB · Views: 23
what is the largest leaf plant, in the 4th picture in this thread( looks like a banana tree???
 
There's a snake plant in a HOB, and the leaves of a potted Philodendron caught on the edge of the shot.
 
Impressive!
I was watching a YouTube where a gentleman did a test on a bunch of typical emersive plants used in aquariums and the #1 nutrient fixer (i,e Nitrogen) was the Peace Lilly, I believe the pothos came in 3rd...totally forget what is 2nd, lol.

Majority of those are a no with mobile, exploring furry toddlers in the share of cats.
 
We've been talking a bit about emergent plants, roots in the tanks. I thought I'd unload some pictures on everyone, of things that work here. I wandered the fishroom with my camera this morning, and here's what I got.View attachment 385442View attachment 385443View attachment 385444View attachment 385445View attachment 385442View attachment 385443View attachment 385444View attachment 385445View attachment 385446
Is the first image a Lucky Bamboo or some type of Yucca?
 
Not the OP, but it looks like lucky bamboo to me.
 
@Boundava is right - lucky bamboo. That was a recent one, maybe 2 months ago. It took some time to fit in, but now it's growing. It roots right into the gravel.

I assume nitrogen fixing is going on, but I don't worry about it. I treat these tanks like all others as far as water changes go. 30-40% every week to 10 days, no matter what the plants above water are doing.

In the spring, we were given a Costco planter as a gift. Its two identified residents are dwarf papyrus and a Bacopa - the third flowering plant I'm unsure of. It's a water hog and this week I hope to find time to convert all three to roots in tanks life. Around here, it's getting to that time of the year. The nights are getting cooler and cooler. I think Mr Papyrus wants me to either bring it or build it a pyramid.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top