Emergency Sexing Please Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

josh63762

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys I just brought these 2 blue gouramis I asked for male and female and I am home now but it looks like 2 males could u please sex them for me so I can go swop one if they both Male! Thanks! IMG_2013072056545.jpg

I'm a rookie, and my guess is as good as yours. But according to someone I trust in the way of fish, the best indication is the dorsal fins. My mom's female blue doesn't look like either of those. Her dorsal is much shorter.  I found these images, and I hope I can help.
femaleGourami.jpg

maleGourami.jpg

Anyways, you should wait for someone experienced to chime in.

They're too young to tell, but if I were to guess they might become both male. Watch for aggression between the two of them in the coming weeks.

As others have said, they are very young - almost impossible to tell, but the way their fins are both developing currently, I would suggest they are both young males.

It is very difficult to pick out the correct gender at many fish stores as the gourami don't ever tend to get to sexual maturity before being bought or moved on. I've found the best way to guarantee the sex of the fish is to look out for people within the local community looking to sell theirs. I recently managed to buy 4x female gold gourami so my male will now been spoilt for choice!

Good luck :)

I'd say two young males. Dorsal fins of both are already longer than the female ones and certainly aren't rounded. Have a little bit of doubt fot the one under. The body seems of that one to be more "full" than the upper one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back