Ember Tetras not active

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a school of 12 ember tetras in a 10 gallon but they are not very active. All they do is stay in the plants till feeding time. Is this normal behavior or would they be better off in a larger tank with dither fish?

This species, Hyphessobrycon amandae, like many other tetra species (but certainly not all) are relatively sedate fish, not active swimmers. So they will tend to cruise around, sometimes sort of hovering among plants or branches. Some of the inactivity could be due to a new environment if they are relatively newly acquired, but don't expect them to go charging around--that would be a sign of trouble.

Byron.

Okay thanks. It is probably normal behavior then as I have gotten what I presume is spawning behavior with them. I was comparing them to my neons in another tank who are much more active which made me thing something was wrong with them.

Okay thanks. It is probably normal behavior then as I have gotten what I presume is spawning behavior with them. I was comparing them to my neons in another tank who are much more active which made me thing something was wrong with them.

Neons are not active fish either, much like the Embers. Cardinals and the false/green neons the same. Of course, when I write "active" or "sedate" there is nothing to say that others will understand the terms differently from how I am using them. Anyway, doesn't sound like any issue, so you're likely OK.

Neons are not active fish either, much like the Embers. Cardinals and the false/green neons the same. Of course, when I write "active" or "sedate" there is nothing to say that others will understand the terms differently from how I am using them. Anyway, doesn't sound like any issue, so you're likely OK.
I should of worded it differently about the neons. They are definitely not crazy active to say they are just more active then my embers but that is probably do to being in a bigger tank.

Most reactions

Back