Elk hunting pictures

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nice one!

(You're either thinking I'm the fastest reader or my ADHD decided that was too much... I'll let you decide)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, FM. If I ever write a hunting book, I'm going to call it "101 Ways to Almost Kill an Elk." I'm something of an expert on the subject, if I may say so. :lol:
"And when you tired of almost killing an elk then buy a dang Milkor MGL"

I have an inside fear of horses, but I could maybe overcome that someday and rescue 1 or 2 horses.
Well, these particular horses are wild as deer, so if you're afraid of them it might not be the best place to start. :)

Thanks, FM. If I ever write a hunting book, I'm going to call it "101 Ways to Almost Kill an Elk." I'm something of an expert on the subject, if I may say so. :lol:
I just hope that something like this won't be in one of the chapters...

Well, the state lab finally received my sample to test the elk for chronic wasting disease. This is basically the deer version of mad cow disease. They aren't sure if it can be passed on to people, but they recommend getting critters tested to be safe. Hopefully I'll get my results tomorrow and we can start eating all this wonderful meat that's hanging in quarters from the rafters in my garage. Also I can cut it up, put it in the freezer, and quit bonking my head on it.

So I am reading your accounts about hunting the on the sage brush flats. I used to do hunting in the East Kootenays, North of you, there if you get into animals, especially the whitetail deer, that have feed on sage brush they have a strong tendency to have a strong gamey flavor. Is that the case with elk from your area.

Elk are generally grazers, not browsers. These elk are eating the grass that grows in between the sagebrush. Deer eat a lot of sagebrush, especially in the winter, but they tend to prefer other forbs. Antelope eat a lot of it too. I'm sure elk will eat it as a last resort, but they don't tend to.

I've heard horse is good meat if you can get over the idea. I think they eat a lot of it in France, right? I'd try it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back