FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
No animals were harmed in this hunt. Yet. :lol: I just thought I'd share some pictures and such of this year's hunt.

If you are a person who disapproves of hunting, please don't feel obligated to say so here. I don't want to start a discussion on the merits of trophy hunting or any of the other usual stuff. Suffice it to say I am a highly ethical hunter to chooses methods that drastically tip the odds in favor of the critters, and who partakes of the resulting meat and other goodies with gratitude and humility. If you're not cool with that, please move on. :) I just thought some of you might like to see a few pictures and perhaps a story or two.

Hunting camp, such as it is. The Dodge pickup with the topper is Old Blue, my trusty steed. Not pictured: A couple of stumps to serve as tables, one with a two burner coleman stove on it. Luxury accomodations. Nearest cell service is on top of a hill a couple miles away; forget wifi.

126_0905.JPG

The view from my hotel room. It only gets three stars on my tripadvisor review, because the bugling elk made it hard to sleep, and also the central heating seems not to work.

126_0904.JPG

Second day out, I nailed a stump at 30 yards. Not bad shootin', if I may say so. Stumps are easy to sneak up on, but they aren't much good eating.

126_0903.JPG

Full disclosure: This was my second shot. My first shot missed. A little.

Here's a mountain chickadee that kept me company during my afternoon siesta today. Sorry for the terrible camera work--it is really hard to keep a chickadee on the screen when the sun is in your eyes. :) There were actually two of them, and they came almost close enough to touch. So cute.

This is the weirdest thing I saw today. It's a beaver dam. But instead of damming the little creek in the bottom of the draw, they built a mud wall about 2' high and dammed up a little spring coming out of the rimrocks at the top of the draw. It looks for all the world like an above-ground swimming pool, but made of mud. I've never seen anything like it.
126_0914.JPG

126_0915.JPG

There is a big blob of mud and sticks piled up against the rim rocks; I assume it's the lodge. So very weird.
126_0917.JPG

126_0918.JPG

@whistling badger said..."and a really cool beaver dam, don't forget that!"

and a partridge in a pear tree :fun:

and on the fourth day of hunting my true love gave to me _____
(fill in the blank)

Last edited:
@whistling badger said..."and a really cool beaver dam, don't forget that!"

and a partridge in a pear tree :fun:

and on the fourth day of hunting my true love gave to me _____
(fill in the blank)
An elk that got awayyyyyy

Last edited by a moderator:
No partridges up there, but ruffed grouse and blue grouse are DELICIOUS.

@Fishmanic You're just going to have to be patient; I won't be back in the mountains until Thursday, and I'm not likely to find any elk at the elementary school.

No partridges up there, but ruffed grouse and blue grouse are DELICIOUS.

@Fishmanic You're just going to have to be patient; I won't be back in the mountains until Thursday, and I'm not likely to find any elk at the elementary school.
One should not count one's chickens...or elks.....you might find one loitering with intent within the caretaker's cupboard one day.....never say never ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back