Elk hunting pictures

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have only seen horse on the menu in Germany. Generally, the nicer restaurants that the salesmen take us to on occasion.

I should have remembered that the elk are grazers, the elk are just not found in the south country where the sagebrush grows.

First hind quarter cut up and in the freezer. Referring to a Clay Hayes video for know-how. I've cut up a lot of animals, but Clay knows the actual names of the cuts. "Sirloin" and "Bottom Round" look so much cooler on packages than "Steaks" and "Roasts."

Hanging an animal this long dries out the outer layer, which helps preserve the meat but also has to be removed. This layer isn't really edible, at least not by people. Tayo is extremely full.

IMG_20221109_185759.jpg

I'm sure the dog really enjoys that! 😅

OK, finished cutting up the elk and putting the meat away. Probably about 50-60 pounds of steaks and roasts, and another 40 or so pounds waiting to be ground into burger and sausage this weekend. Planning to cook up the bones for marrow fat and/or bone broth. Sure is nice to walk through my garage without bonking my head on elk quarters. ha ha She was smallish as elk go, but I'm rather pleased to get her all broken down in only two evenings.

The hide is currently bucking (soaking in wood ash lye to remove fat and soften up the hair layer) in the garage. Think I might have made an error there. Brain tanning requires several steps to be done outside, at least one involving copious amounts of water...and it's staying below freezing most of the day now. Probably should have just fleshed it, salted it, and let it dry until spring. Oh well, too late now. It can stay in the lye for another week or so without hurting anything, and maybe the weather will cooperate. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Weird thing. (The following is not necessarily for the squeamish) Her right front leg was severely broken in two places, above and below the elbow, but without any bullet damage. When I first saw her, she was running with her two friends just as swift as an elk should be, so it wasn't an old injury. Immediately after I shot her, I could see that she had a broken leg, and I assumed I hit her in the leg. But like I said, there's no bullet damage to the leg. A heavy rifle bullet hit to bone, or even muscle, does catastrophic damage. There would be bone shards everywhere, and the meat would be inedible throughout the whole area, but this meat is just as clean and pink as can be, and there was no bullet hole in the leg hide. But the bone is just destroyed, in two places. Maybe she took a bad leap or stepped in a hole when she jumped off her bed? I've never heard of that happening to an elk--they are put together a lot tougher than the average hoofed critter--but I suppose it's possible.

I called the local orthopedic surgeon, who happens to be an avid outdoorsman and a friend of mine, and asked him if he'd like to examine the bone and try to tell me what happened. He's kind of geeking out about it and can't wait to have a look at such an unusual injury. If anybody's interested, I'll let you know what he says.

Weird thing. (The following is not necessarily for the squeamish) Her right front leg was severely broken in two places, above and below the elbow, but without any bullet damage. When I first saw her, she was running with her two friends just as swift as an elk should be, so it wasn't an old injury. Immediately after I shot her, I could see that she had a broken leg, and I assumed I hit her in the leg. But like I said, there's no bullet damage to the leg. A heavy rifle bullet hit from to bone, or even muscle, does catastrophic damage. There would be bone shards everywhere, and the meat would be inedible throughout the whole area, but this meat is just as clean and pink as can be, and there was no bullet hole in the leg hide. But the bone is just destroyed, in two places. Maybe she took a bad leap or stepped in a hole when she jumped off her bed? I've never heard of that happening to an elk--they are put together a lot tougher than the average hoofed critter--but I suppose it's possible.

I called the local orthopedic surgeon, who happens to be an avid outdoorsman and a friend of mine, and asked him if he'd like to examine the bone and try to tell me what happened. He's kind of geeking out about it and can't wait to have a look at such an unusual injury. If anybody's interested, I'll let you know what he says.
Keep us updated!

what are you going to do with the hide?
I'm going to try brain tanning it, if I can figure a way to get the lye rinsed out of it in the subfreezing temps. Brain tan hide is handy for all sorts of things: Moccasins, a jacket, quivers, backpacks...the possibilities are endless.

I'm also bark tanning the hide from the legs, with the fur on. If that works I think I'll make a few belt pouches and/or sporrans.

OK, finished cutting up the elk and putting the meat away. Probably about 50-60 pounds of steaks and roasts, and another 40 or so pounds waiting to be ground into burger and sausage this weekend. Planning to cook up the bones for marrow fat and/or bone broth. Sure is nice to walk through my garage without bonking my head on elk quarters. ha ha She was smallish as elk go, but I'm rather pleased to get her all broken down in only two evenings.

The hide is currently bucking (soaking in wood ash lye to remove fat and soften up the hair layer) in the garage. Think I might have made an error there. Brain tanning requires several steps to be done outside, at least one involving copious amounts of water...and it's staying below freezing most of the day now. Probably should have just fleshed it, salted it, and let it dry until spring. Oh well, too late now. It can stay in the lye for another week or so without hurting anything, and maybe the weather will cooperate. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Invite me over for dinner pleaseeeeeee :p

Just curious and without knowledge - recently a tannery was found here by archaeologists investigating around highway construction. They talked about how it was located outside the17th century walled town because of the fierce smell.

The guys I've known who work traplines up north also commented on the hum from the furs they gather. Does this become an issue with the hides you're working with, or is that a question of scale?

Just curious and without knowledge - recently a tannery was found here by archaeologists investigating around highway construction. They talked about how it was located outside the17th century walled town because of the fierce smell.

The guys I've known who work traplines up north also commented on the hum from the furs they gather. Does this become an issue with the hides you're working with, or is that a question of scale?
Some definite funky smells involved! :sick::lol: There's a reason we do this in the garage or the yard. Hum? As in they make sounds? My hides are completely silent so far. I'll let you know if that changes...

I am completely new at tanning hides, so I really have only the vaguest idea what I'm doing. I have a couple good books on the subject, and the net of course. I fully expect to mess up and ruin this one in the name of learning how to do it. But maybe I'll surprise myself.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back