Elephant Nose

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mine eats very well with my loaches and everything else in the tank, he even plays with his food bouncing freeze dried brine shrimp around on his trunk befor gulping them down. he has also been comming out during the day time more often and is now out almost all the time.

mind you everything in the tank right now is a baby. and when are people going to learn that you can get awya with much more than you think, im really getting sick of people telling my my tanks are too small. both of my tanks work just fine. the elephant was even out tonight, i poured a cup of tawed baby brine shrimp in and he wen nuts.

if everyone is telling you the tank is to small (which it is ) maybe you should take not

the amo problem could be a number of things the tank isnt cycled which may make it cloudy or you are over stocked

if its eating thats great in one way but it means it will grow which is a bad thing in your tank

you can get away with a red tail cat or a tiger shovel nose in a 2ft tank for life its just there lifes wont be very long

im not going to go down the route of your tank is to small to much as you can pack a tank with fish and still maintain good water i have done it a lot in the past

no matter what size tank you have it will always be over stocked at some point

my amonia problem was cleared up with some water changes, i still dont know what caused it because the 20 gallon that the fish where in befor was clear, i honestly think it has to do with the shape of the tank and how tall the water colum is.

my amonia problem was cleared up with some water changes, i still dont know what caused it because the 20 gallon that the fish where in befor was clear, i honestly think it has to do with the shape of the tank and how tall the water colum is.
how can the shape of the tank make a difference with a build up of ammonia?

because its tall so the water flows differently

The shape of the aquarium could affect how much oxygen gets into the water, and that in turn will determine its carrying capacity. However, bacteria "out rank" fish when it comes to oxygen, so if there isn't quite enough oxygen to go round, the fish will be the first ones to suffer. In other words, if your fish seem happy, it's unlikely that oxygen is a limiting factor on your biological filter.

Some filters add oxygen to the water as they work, for example hang-on-the-back filters and wet/dry filters, so these can offset or mask problems like overstocking. By contrast, canister filters remove oxygen from the water, so they tend to be exacerbate oxygen deficiency problems.

Cheers, Neale

because its tall so the water flows differently

my filter does airraite the water, and i have an airstone in there but at the moment my pump is a little small. i just bought a topfin pump with 4 outlits for my bow front tank. its super powerful, and was rather cheap so im going to get another one for this cube tank. L114's like alot of oxygen anyway.

at the end of the day its you fish your tank your money

they are not the easyest fish to take care of so just enjoy it for as long as you can and make sure you have a place to home it when it gets to big

not to knock your fish keeping skills but chances are that you wont be able to keep it alive long as they are very sensitive

i wish you all the luck with him as they are a cool looking fish

to be honest he doesnt really seem all that sensitive, the amonia in the tank is still a little high and it really doesnt seem to both any of them actually. they all eat and play all day.

wednesday the tank is getting an overhall though. all of the fish and water are comming out and into my spare 20 gallon while i change the gravel to sand, and add 2 more air stones.

Good luck with swaping over to sand :good: I have just done mine on wednesday and my loaches love it . The shop I bought the sand from told me it did not need washing as already done but pleased I ignored there advice and gave it a really good rise through and the amount of crap that came out of it. Have you thought about leaving your fish in when you change over? I took 2 days to do mine by cleaning gravel @ took all wood and plants out , took gravel out , done 25% water change , next day got any bits left in tank , washed sand @ then put in tank buy lowering down in a bowl and then turned over for it just to gently pour into the bottom , 25% water change once wood @ plants back in tank and all was great :nod: buy the morning any cloudyness in tank had gone and all fish are healthy hope this will help

no i took the fish out, put the water from the tank onto a 20 gallon and put the fish in there. dumped out the rest of the water and scooped out the graven using a dust pan. layed the airstones in and poured in the sand. put my plants back in and covered the bases of them with polished black river stones. took about an hour and a half.

pleased all went well for you as not a nice job, but bet your bottom feeders love it :good: has it sorted out your other problems you were having? hope so as a real worry also did I read back earlier you have an elephantnose? lovely fish just wish I could have kept mine as an apt present from muminlaw being trunky :fun: but mine just would not feed with my loaches plus it was only a baby which prob did not help :-(

yes the tank has gotten much clearer with the added flow, unfortunitly one of my air stones that i bought that day isnt warking, so i now have to un bury it and exchange it and put a new one in witch is going to be a pain.

i have heard alot of horror storys about people not getting them to eat, when i bought this one my lfs also had a double trunk one that i would have loved to own but it wasnt eating well so i took the other one. my eats with my loches and my corys just fine. i dont know if he is curious or doesnt like the corys but he is always touching them with his trunk, but it doesnt seem to bother them any so i guess its fine.

My elephantnose has grown to 8inches in a year and still growing, hes fiesty and agressive (hes a big bully but hes no killer) but cant do alot of damage and frequently becomes worse off judging by his battle scars (he goes for my huge featherfin synos!), also fast swimming and extremely active at night. some people may think its overkill but I wouldnt put one in anything less than 90gallon if you have other bottom dwellers as competition. You need a bigger tank or it wont last long, also elephantnoses need pristine water conditions and quickly suffer without it!

What i would add is mines on a staple diet of frozen bloodworm but also eats frozen krill and brine shrimp. and i spot feed him with a turkey baster so he gets first dibbs!

They are notoriously difficult to keep alive but mines going strong, never had a problem and i dont do anything special, i do however have an extra 100gallons, x feet of space and 2 more filters than you have to play with so maybe thats the key to it!

Cant see it working unfortuantly but good luck trying. Amazing intelligent fish its just a shame you dont have the space.

Keep an eye out for a larger tank, some people just give em away! edit: ive got a 60gal sitting outside if u want it!

Ed

P.s mine has never touched a flake but trys to scoop up sinking granuals (the small orange/red things) dont know if he actually eats them tho!

mine has also become very active. and i hand feed him brine shrimp

Most reactions

Back