Electrical connection

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Plantedtanknewbie69

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning on starting up a 300-400 litre planted tank with co2 etc. I have no wall socket where I want to place the aquarium and would like to use a 3 meter extension lead as the cheapest way around this issue. Is this safe? I would be running a heater, filter, lights, power head etc.

Would really appreciate some feedback from the experts on here please.

Jason.

Your extension cord should have a rating of at least 1000W. The rating should be on the tag attached to the cord, or on the plastic bag that came with cord.

For a 300-400L tank, the heater should be around 400W whether you use 2 smaller heaters or a single heater. Power head and CO2 - I have no idea of their power consumption, but assume a total of 200W. Allow 100W for lighting, so a total of 700W which is well under the rating of the extension cord. So it’s safe enough if you take care to ensure no water is splashed on it.

You’ll need a power board with 5 or 6 outlets to plug to the extension cord, and do not use multiple double adaptors plugging on each other as they could overheat. Btw, check the rating of the power board too.

At the socket on the wall, I suggest that you only plug in the extension cord, do not use a double adaptor and share that socket with another electrical item.

Your extension cord should have a rating of at least 1000W. The rating should be on the tag attached to the cord, or on the plastic bag that came with cord.

For a 300-400L tank, the heater should be around 400W whether you use 2 smaller heaters or a single heater. Power head and CO2 - I have no idea of their power consumption, but assume a total of 200W. Allow 100W for lighting, so a total of 700W which is well under the rating of the extension cord. So it’s safe enough if you take care to ensure no water is splashed on it.

You’ll need a power board with 5 or 6 outlets to plug to the extension cord, and do not use multiple double adaptors plugging on each other as they could overheat. Btw, check the rating of the power board too.

At the socket on the wall, I suggest that you only plug in the extension cord, do not use a double adaptor and share that socket with another electrical item.
Thank you TNG, much appreciated.

Just one more thing, for safety's sake get a power board with a surge / overload protection.

Add up the watts of each piece of equipment. The heater will turn on and off all day, and lights won't be on all day but the filter etc will be on all day. Assume everything could be on together at any point.
Then look at the rating of the extension cord. Some with several sockets are 10 amps, some are 13 amps. Always use extensions with side by side sockets, not the type with sockets on each side of a cube as that type can overheat. Extensions with switches makes it easier to turn things off individually (eg filter and heater off during a water change but leave the lights on) rather than unplug them.

If the extension is 13 amp rated, that's equivalent to running a maximum of 2.9 kW (2900 watts). 10 amp can run 2300 watts. Look at the combined total watts of all the equipment you'd like to run on the extension - is it higher or lower than those? If it was mine, I'd prefer a lot lower than the max.

Remember to keep the socket part of the extension lead somewhere you won't splash water on it during a water change.

Add up the watts of each piece of equipment. The heater will turn on and off all day, and lights won't be on all day but the filter etc will be on all day. Assume everything could be on together at any point.
Then look at the rating of the extension cord. Some with several sockets are 10 amps, some are 13 amps. Always use extensions with side by side sockets, not the type with sockets on each side of a cube as that type can overheat. Extensions with switches makes it easier to turn things off individually (eg filter and heater off during a water change but leave the lights on) rather than unplug them.

If the extension is 13 amp rated, that's equivalent to running a maximum of 2.9 kW (2900 watts). 10 amp can run 2300 watts. Look at the combined total watts of all the equipment you'd like to run on the extension - is it higher or lower than those? If it was mine, I'd prefer a lot lower than the max.

Remember to keep the socket part of the extension lead somewhere you won't splash water on it during a water change.
Thanks Essjay, I have not bought the items yet but will take a look now at the things I am considering and add them all up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back