\\electric//

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

madgap

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here, in the Madgap abode we have an electric meter that uses a key. For those who don't know, its a special key that you take to a shop/store and give it to the assistant and ask for a tenner to be put on. You plug the key in at home, and it will show the ten quid credit.
I prefare this because you are in control of the bills instead of a nasty letter demanding huge amounts of money, that you didn't realise you'd spent.
(Forgive the rambling, I didn't know where else in the forum to put this)
Now, over the last couple of months I've noticed a rapid use in electric and where we were using perhaps £10 a week it is now about £15-£20. I cant believe that my tank is using that much electric. So, what could it be. Our lifestyle hasnt changed, other than I'm doing more overtime!

Anyone else noticed any change in their electric bill since adding an aquarium?

All my tanks add about $70 monthly to my bill. Your biggest electric draw is heaters, all but two of my tanks are in one smallish room, that is well insulated and gas forced air heated in the winter.

I don't know if they have something like this in the UK, but it is a nifty little device for monitoring electricity usage; http://www.p3international.com/products/sp...0/P4400-CE.html

Although its probably in part due to your aquariums, electricity use does increase generally at this time of year. You probably have your lights on more, maybe using electric heaters etc.
I'd be interested how much electricity tanks do use though, because that's the one thing I feel bad about. My landlord pays the electricity bills so I have no idea what effect my little tanks have.

Key meters seem to cost more than conventional meters, when we bought this house last year the previous owners had got into debt with the electric company and were on a key meter so they couldnt increase the debt. Once i had all the tanks set back up and running again we was using about £20 a day of electric while we waited for the electric board to come out and replace the meter. Our bills are still high but are certainly less than £20 a day that the key meter was costing us.

yep, I just wanted to add that pay as you go electric does work out a lot more expensive in the long run, If you want to save money on electric its probably best to have a normal bill and just watch your usage as you would with the key (or failing that hook it up to the nearest lamppost :shifty:)

Although its probably in part due to your aquariums, electricity use does increase generally at this time of year. You probably have your lights on more, maybe using electric heaters etc.

Your aquarium itself will consume more power at this time of year too (if you live in the UK) as the most power consuming 'part' of your aquarium is the heater and the biggest factor on how much power this uses is the ambient temperature outside the tank.

A study from US energy company Pacific Gas and Electric showed that for a 55gallon tank, energy use climbed from about 475 kWh per year at 80f ambient air temp to 2,600 kWh per year at 65f ambient air temp. The study concluded that a large aquarium (I assume they are pointing to the 55gal example) can use the same amount of energy as two refridgerators.

Madgap when I was a single mum I'd run round with that key hardly affording what I had to put on it in the winter.

I used to watch so carefully.

Then I got married and hubby said were moving so get that back to a proper meter before we buy our new house .

I did and when we got the bill I was £200 plus in credit I was mad as I had a few cold times when I had to wait for my pay check etc.

I found the same with paying the tv liscence it makes me cross these companies are making people go without.

I now am with the bank of hubby and hes says no when needed. lol.

check out but they sometimes do this to spread the cost.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back