Electric Blue Jack Dempsey - Dwarf?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was in my LFS and saw the most amazing blue colors on a fish 1 inch and they told me it was a dwarf jack dempsey and wouldn't grow much bigger.

However I came back and have been researching and it appears they don't have a dwarf species, this is just a smaller version but can still reach 10" - am I right?

I am looking at starting a Lake Malawi tank of peacocks and yellow labs, would this Jack dempsey be able to join them?

Hereā€™s a picture of the little fella.

will he grow?

Attachments

• 7782FE9A-AE88-409C-A841-FEF54AAAC855.jpeg
    7782FE9A-AE88-409C-A841-FEF54AAAC855.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 154
No there is no such thing as a dwarf so still likely to get to a fair old size the electric blues tend to stay a bit smaller than the regular ones though.

I can imagine that someone could have bred short bodied ones but this one does not look like that kind of deformity Iā€™d advise against searching for short bodies anyway as they often have health issues and it is a bit cruel to breed fish deformed.

In terms of mixing with Africans Iā€™m a bit of a purist really and would advise against it. They are all about as aggressive as each other but different kinds of behaviour and Iā€™d say it could end badly probably 50/50. And with an African tank youā€™ll have loads of options for bright blue big fish. I saw some OB eye biters the other week that were fully electric blue and white.

Wills

It wouldnā€™t stand a chance with Rifts. Theyā€™re much more placid than regular JDs.

Hereā€™s a picture of the little fella.

will he grow?
I have one I thought is dwarf also. These guys are all same age, got when they were all about 1/2 inchā€¦yet look at size difference. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 183150EB-74AD-4C52-8798-319FEB1339F2.jpeg
    183150EB-74AD-4C52-8798-319FEB1339F2.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 101
I have one I thought is dwarf also. These guys are all same age, got when they were all about 1/2 inchā€¦yet look at size difference. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 142FDD03-4895-4B29-B719-009BB3D416B9.jpeg
    142FDD03-4895-4B29-B719-009BB3D416B9.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 88
The shop is telling you little white lies. There are no dwarf jack Dempsey cichlids and they all grow to 8inches +.

They require different water chemistry to Rift Lake cichlids and should not be housed together.

They are a very hardy fish. That much I can tell you. They have a ton of personality too. Mine was super pretty when it was that little. Kinda faded nowadays. He is only about 4 inches, and I have had him close to a year now probably.

Pretty much any EBJD is going to have some deformity from what I have found. Mine looks like it has stroke face all the time. I think it is partially blind as well. It has survived some.crazy stuff so far in its short life however. That is the one cool thing about these fish. They are hardy fish. Can handle a huge variety of water conditions. But they are timid as well.

They are a very hardy fish. That much I can tell you. They have a ton of personality too. Mine was super pretty when it was that little. Kinda faded nowadays. He is only about 4 inches, and I have had him close to a year now probably.

Pretty much any EBJD is going to have some deformity from what I have found. Mine looks like it has stroke face all the time. I think it is partially blind as well. It has survived some.crazy stuff so far in its short life however. That is the one cool thing about these fish. They are hardy fish. Can handle a huge variety of water conditions. But they are timid as well.
Yes my lil guy is special I think. He has one good eye as well. But my other, was a bit smaller than him when I got them is now like 4-5 inches and my lil lefty is prob 2. But has more curious behavior than my big dawg. Lol

@DGJ how are your ebjd doing? I purchased 4 and 3 are still alive. My male is way bigger than the female like your size difference. He chases the female all over the tank and bullies her . Have you had any issue with yours chasing each other? It looks like the big one is a female and small one is a male that you have. Just want to get another opinion bc you have the same issue I have. I made a post about it yesterday if you want to read it. Iā€™ll post two pics they are skiddish of the camera. The pics donā€™t do their colors justice.I

Attachments

• A37FB55A-3252-4557-A11D-DCB7F10CCF58.jpeg
    A37FB55A-3252-4557-A11D-DCB7F10CCF58.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 6267C33B-9A5C-438B-A635-CBD51DFDA41F.jpeg
    6267C33B-9A5C-438B-A635-CBD51DFDA41F.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 52
@DGJ how are your ebjd doing? I purchased 4 and 3 are still alive. My male is way bigger than the female like your size difference. He chases the female all over the tank and bullies her . Have you had any issue with yours chasing each other? It looks like the big one is a female and small one is a male that you have. Just want to get another opinion bc you have the same issue I have. I made a post about it yesterday if you want to read it. Iā€™ll post two pics they are skiddish of the camera. The pics donā€™t do their colors justice.I
@Dado9478 ? I meant to tag you also.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back