Electric blue cichlids- is it ok to keep one or should I keep them in pairs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shovad

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering adding some new fishes to my aquarium that currently has 4 guppies and a bristlenose pleco. I am thinking about buying electric blue cichlids- is it ok to keep them alone or should I buy 2? Will it get along with my other tank mates?

Hi!
A couple questions :).
How big is the tank?
What is your general hardness?
Are you referring to electric blue acara?
1603817311242.png

Hello,
Yes that’s the one .

Tank size- 15 gallon column
Not sure about the hardness
Unfortunately you don't have space for this fish, they need 30 or more gallons.
You can find your water hardness by looking up "City Name general hardness".

Unfortunately you don't have space for this fish, they need 30 or more gallons.
You can find your water hardness by looking up "City Name general hardness".

Ok can you recommend another colorful fish suitable for my tank size?

Water hardness is 26.4 ppm

Ok can you recommend another colorful fish suitable for my tank size?
I can't recommend fish without knowing your water hardness.
Fish that are in too hard or to soft water will develop have health issues.

Avg water hardness for my city is 26.4 ppm
Oh wow. That's really soft water! Too soft for guppies I'm afraid, but fine for the pleco. I would recommend some harlequin rasboras for a nice shoal of red through the tank.

Oh wow. That's really soft water! Too soft for guppies I'm afraid, but fine for the pleco. I would recommend some harlequin rasboras for a nice shoal of red through the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion, is there anything I can add to the aquarium water to increase the hardness?

How many rasboras do you recommend for my tank size?

You'll want at least 5 or more. That will probably max out a 15 gallon tank. You may be disappointed in the Rasbora - they pretty much just swim back and forth all day - not a lot of personality but they are pretty and very tiny but will go well with your tank. You'll need a small heater if you don't already have one'

You'll want at least 5 or more. That will probably max out a 15 gallon tank. You may be disappointed in the Rasbora - they pretty much just swim back and forth all day - not a lot of personality but they are pretty and very tiny but will go well with your tank. You'll need a small heater if you don't already have one'

Ok will pass on the rasboras , how about neon tetras?

How wide is the tank? Column tanks tend to be tall and narrow so have less swimming room than a rectangular tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back