Eggs not making it

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Not enough water flow is one reason

What kind of eggs? Pictures? We need more information...

Not enough water flow is one reason
Interesting, I was wondering about that.
I put in water Sprite, but I think too much.
I was finding a few viable eggs on the Anacharis. I moved the fish nut the tank is still running.
So yesterday I ditched the Sprite and put all Anacharis in the tank. May do a teeny bit of Hornwort.

Next question, I had 3 fry from eggs but they didn't make it.

I kept picking eggs, the good ones, and put in a breeder tank inside the 20g. None made it.

The fish I want to breed, if possible, are my Rainbow furcatus.

I had 9 (3m 6f ), but I lost 2m 1f. I'm pretty sure I put them in too small of a tank hoping my darn 20g would cycle in a reasonable amount of time. Didn't happen.
So now my 1m and 5f are in the 20g with 6 minnows and 4 CPDs. All is well with the compatability.

So, the 6g is ready for fish. My plan it to take the Male, put back in 6g with the Anacharis, where I know they were breeding, and rotate out the females.
Removing the fish after a week...I know I'll find eggs, and see of they grow out in the
6g.

I need some sort of plan
What say you, JB?

Interesting, I was wondering about that.
I put in water Sprite, but I think too much.
I was finding a few viable eggs on the Anacharis. I moved the fish nut the tank is still running.
So yesterday I ditched the Sprite and put all Anacharis in the tank. May do a teeny bit of Hornwort.

Next question, I had 3 fry from eggs but they didn't make it.

I kept picking eggs, the good ones, and put in a breeder tank inside the 20g. None made it.

The fish I want to breed, if possible, are my Rainbow furcatus.

I had 9 (3m 6f ), but I lost 2m 1f. I'm pretty sure I put them in too small of a tank hoping my darn 20g would cycle in a reasonable amount of time. Didn't happen.
So now my 1m and 5f are in the 20g with 6 minnows and 4 CPDs. All is well with the compatability.

So, the 6g is ready for fish. My plan it to take the Male, put back in 6g with the Anacharis, where I know they were breeding, and rotate out the females.
Removing the fish after a week...I know I'll find eggs, and see of they grow out in the
6g.

I need some sort of plan
What say you, JB?
I dunno. I do wish you good luck tho!

What kind of eggs? Pictures? We need more information...
Pseudomugil furcatus
Water parameters fine
Got 3 fry but none made it
Am getting more eggs but more than half aren't viable.
Wondering what conditions would help.
Posted more details in reply to Juice.

Remove any bad ones as soon as you see them so it doesn't spread

Remove any bad ones as soon as you see them so it doesn't spread
I do. I think my main issue is worrying about stress level moving the females back and forth from the community 20g to the 6g "breeder."

Also, drip acclimate each time??

I think you should leave all the fish in the main tank and just move the eggs when you find them

I think you should leave all the fish in the main tank and just move the eggs when you find them
You're probably right, it's just the minnows and CPDs might get to them first.
I guess I won't worry about it. I was just so excited about the 3 fry. It was never my intention to breed them. But ever hopeful...

infertile eggs from young or sterile male.
too much water movement preventing the sperm from getting to the eggs.
lack of food for the parents.
poor water quality.

-----
If you are using a power filter, reduce water flow in the tank.
Make sure the water quality is good and do big (75%) regular water changes and gravel cleaning.
Feed the adults 3-5 times a day with a variety of foods.
Make sure the water temperature is at least 24C.

If eggs are fertile, they will be clear. Move them to a clean tank with no substrate. Add a little methylene blue to prevent fungus and wait for them to hatch. :). Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back