Easy Plants for a Beginner...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

3fsh

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've been keeping low-maintainance, low-light plants in my 12G for a while, but I just started up a new 10G with 3w per gallon and I was wondering if you could recommend any plants for this tank. I have much more time to spend on this tank than I do on the 12G, so trimming the plants back wouldn't be a problem. Also, could you suggest some good quality fertilizer? Thanx!

Easy plants would be java ferns and moss. Perhaps the hybrid aponogeton plants that I have in my tank.

Can't help you out with the fertilizer, though. :/

In addition, consider anubias and crypt species. Most low light plants don't really need trimming. If you have a fertile substrate like Flourite, they won't need additional ferts unless they begin to show signs of deficiency down the road. If you don't have a fertile substrate, then get some root tabs and push them into the substrate near the root systems.

I've already had Java Moss and it grows like crazy and drives me nuts. Aponogeten plants are ok but I already have them in the 12G. I'm looking for something pretty and new that requires an... intermediate care level? Because I have 3w per gallon I can try something that likes medium light instead of low-light. I can adjust pH if necessary with some peat moss and I can also buy some fertilizers. I am just sick of low-light plants. :nod:

crypts and anubias are good low light plants. you can try hygrophila polysperma, but thats risky. it grows pretty tall, even in my tank. they aren't flourishing, but they aren't dying either.

This might be a good place to start. 3 wpg is a pretty good amount of light, and this site will tell you the requirements of each plant along with other things to keep your tank beautiful. :)

My apologies, 3fsh, i seem to have totally missed the "new tank has 3wpg" thing!

There are so many great plants that will do fantastic with that lighting level, will you be adding co2? In a 10 gal it would be best to stick with plants that stay fairly small so that the space is to scale. That said, check out the dif planted tank competitions on the web and see if someone has a set up like you are trying to create - that can be great inspiration and give you an outline of the plants that they used to create that special look...

ALASKA

You are welcome! That's where I go for quick references, and the forum is very friendly like this one. Since it is basically just about aquatic plants, you have another great resource. Off-Ice (one of the admins) is known affectionately in some circles as the aquatic plant god, and is a great guy in general. Hope to see you there! :D

Thank you so much for all your help! I am thinking about investing in a CO2 thing from petsmart. Would it be worth it? I really want to have good looking plants.

These are some easy to grow Proven Performers.
With 3 WPG you might also want to consider Limnophila Aquatica, Limnophila Sessiflora, Alternathera reineckii (reddish leaves) and Bacopa Monnieri. They've been really easy to grow for me with less than 3 WPG. :)

I would also recommend having flourite or eco-complete as your base 2 inch substrate with 1 inch of gravel on the top.

Setup the tank first and see how the plants do for about a month before adding CO2. Plants actually grow so quickly on their own and you might be surprised. CO2 would only be necessary if you feel your plants are limited by the light.

Hope this helps. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back