Easiest way to remove Algae from aquarium glass and acrylic also.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What do I use? An old credit card. Try it. Its near the very best way to remove algae from acrylic without making scratches. Heck,in time the card becomes just blunted enough to be very safe. I even use the credit card on a glass aquarium I have outdoors that can really grow algae on the glass and the credit card remove it in sheets.
No razor blades, no magnets.
Just have credit!

Last edited:
I would NEVER use a razor for sure. Why? When credit cards or plastic scrapers do it just as well? Now,I haven't tried any other plastic scraper...but the CC gets it all. But reading how advanced hobbyists have gotten some deep cuts using a razor made for aquariums got me to make this post. Why get tetanus over that?

Hi everyone, here I can tell you how you can remove algae from aquarium glass;
You can easily remove algae with a melamine sponge and clean water. Melamine sponge is the best and great sponge to remove algae from the aquarium.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (ORIGINAL only, not the types with soaps or cleaners)

I almost bought some Magic Erasers (original) tonight, but was unsure. What is in them? There were cautions on not using on stainless steel, or skin. I'm hesitant if it harms human skin that there may be chemicals impregnated. It also says not to use with chlorine, why is that?

I almost bought some Magic Erasers (original) tonight, but was unsure. What is in them? There were cautions on not using on stainless steel, or skin. I'm hesitant if it harms human skin that there may be chemicals impregnated. It also says not to use with chlorine, why is that?
As long as you get the Original, no worries on chemicals...they are chemical-free

They've never harmed my hands when using them...no idea about the chlorine warning, though, but it really doesn't matter, I don't use chlorine to clean anything

As long as you get the Original, no worries on chemicals...they are chemical-free

They've never harmed my hands when using them...no idea about the chlorine warning, though, but it really doesn't matter, I don't use chlorine to clean anything
Magic erasers are too precious to waste on an aquarium:rofl: I believe they have a very very fine sandpaper component that makesthem so efficient. It is a little rough on your hands if you scrub for a while, and I could see it taking the finish or something off stainless steel maybe. I know that when we do it on the walls, we have to be super careful not to go too hard or too long because it doesn’t justtakeout a scuff, it’ll wear the paint all off

Magic erasers are too precious to waste on an aquarium:rofl: I believe they have a very very fine sandpaper component that makesthem so efficient. It is a little rough on your hands if you scrub for a while, and I could see it taking the finish or something off stainless steel maybe. I know that when we do it on the walls, we have to be super careful not to go too hard or too long because it doesn’t justtakeout a scuff, it’ll wear the paint all off
Microfibers...

I can vouch for the Tetra algae scraper. Takes about 5 minutes to clean all the glass inside my 120L
PXL_20220409_160446117.jpg

PXL_20220409_160458027.jpg

I forgot I had done this topic!
Also- NEVER put metal to acrylic. 2 days ago i was repairing the vacuum cleaner and it slipped out of my hand as I sat on a chair and fell and hit the 240 gallon front glass- 2 wicked looking scratches,one was red. I was able between uses 320 grit and 1000 grit to get 95% of those deep scratches. One great thing about those tanks,is they are repairable. Wet sand.
To add+ Sometimes the card leaves a white streak. If you go over that with the card that made it? They disappear. What's happening at the atomic level I don't know....

Most reactions

trending

Back