Earthquake

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
for those that havn't heard
we here in Kent have had an earthquake today.

British Geological Survey (BGS) seismologist Roger Musson said the
tremor was around 4.3 on the Richter scale, with an epicentre 7.5 miles off the Dover coast.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6602677.stm

thank God that no one was seriously hurt

i didn't believe it when my mum told me, then i saw it on the news, glad no one was seriously hurt though

I couldn't believe it either!! As you say, it was great to hear that no one was seriously hurt.

I too live in Kent, but in Tunbridge Wells and I didn't feel it over here.

Ah, earthquakes. Only experienced 1 in my life so far, and seeing as I was only young I found it simply fun and exciting, not knowing the damage one can do. Still, as long as it's not a big one I wouldn't mind experiencing it again :p

Hope you and your place are ok though Wolfy.

I didn't feel it either.
as it is so unusual for the UK to have earthquakes I thought this would
interest some people.

I'm wondering how long it will be untill some ecco-numpty links it to global warming :lol:

I'm wondering how long it will be untill some ecco-numpty links it to global warming

:eek: how could you say such an stupid, ill-informed, republican thing? Didn't you know that the Carbon dioxide which is emitted by the evil humans catches on fire whenever george bush farts, and this creates earthquakes? Its so sad that so many people don't value our environment, and are so ill-informed by evil environmental-hating, oil-burning, satanic republican scientists, who say for some reason that rocks miles beneath our feet colliding causes earthquakes, jeez, what a crazy and stupid theory.

:lol: just kidding of course

I didn't feel it either.
as it is so unusual for the UK to have earthquakes I thought this would
interest some people.

I'm wondering how long it will be untill some ecco-numpty links it to global warming :lol:

lol you would not belieave it but the uk has one of the higeat rates of earthquakes, on the planet!! though they are too small to feel, mostly. this is the list for 30 march till 28 april this year!!
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_ev...ent_events.html

lol we also have the highest rate of tornados, found anywhere on this planet! well a section of the midlands does.

I'm wondering how long it will be untill some ecco-numpty links it to global warming

:eek: how could you say such an stupid, ill-informed, republican thing? Didn't you know that the Carbon dioxide which is emitted by the evil humans catches on fire whenever george bush farts, and this creates earthquakes? Its so sad that so many people don't value our environment, and are so ill-informed by evil environmental-hating, oil-burning, satanic republican scientists, who say for some reason that rocks miles beneath our feet colliding causes earthquakes, jeez, what a crazy and stupid theory.

:lol: just kidding of course
oops could it be commected???? well maybe. if the temp, air, rises this will cause the ground to heat up. we all know that most things expand as they get hotter. its not a big jump to say that this may have some effect on the balance of the earths surface, in relation to the earths core. and it could just possibly be connected.

Ha Ha - I was going to say that too, but thought I'd get shot down in flames if I did. Very good point though, i agree with doing our bit, but be be force-fed "it's your fault the planet is dying" propaganda by the media every day is tiresome.... :rolleyes:

I felt it, I was at work, which is right next to the station, and a train was pulling out of the station, and I thought "that must have been a heavy train"! D'oh!! (had just finished night shift tho, so my stupidity is excusable :rolleyes: )
Still, my mum felt it and thought it was the cat jumping on the bed. Hmm!
Oh, and it seems the eco mentalists haven't been able to pin it on global warming, so they're looking at mining in the channel being to blame. Had to be man's fault somewhere along the line :lol:

Ha Ha - I was going to say that too, but thought I'd get shot down in flames if I did. Very good point though, i agree with doing our bit, but be be force-fed "it's your fault the planet is dying" propaganda by the media every day is tiresome.... :rolleyes:

even if it is true?

even if it is true?

You do have a point, undeniably - global warming is happening. I was merely referring to being fed up with the sensationalist spin that is portrayed by the media as being gospel truth, when clearly it isn't always. I have read the much of the research available on the subject, which is slightly more objective, as I have written a thesis on a related subject.

Anyway, I have digressed from the actual purpose of this forum, for which I apologise.

global warming is a myth
perpetuated by certain governments of the world and
scientist that have to explain what they are spending thier massive grants on.

If it is acceptable, I could do a post on the myth of global warming
but is that really a topic for this forum or indeed any other part of TFF?

it'd certainly be an interesting topic wolf although i suspect it would end up closed!!

can't say i've ever made my mind up either way, however this is one absolute dead certain fact, climate change has been happeneing since long before we were on this planet.

global warming is a myth
perpetuated by certain governments of the world and
scientist that have to explain what they are spending thier massive grants on.

If it is acceptable, I could do a post on the myth of global warming
but is that really a topic for this forum or indeed any other part of TFF?

A slightly cynical view (to which you are entitled) but it is not backed up by enough validated research, but I see your point.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back