Dying Tiger Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Put a coarse sponge over the intake.

Sorry about the BN, but its great to hear that the tigers are doing well.

:rip: sorry about the pleco, that's a shame. What a weird little loach :rolleyes: ..... Good to hear your tigers are doing great!!! My new little tiger is just behaving worse as time goes by lol, he's twice as small as the others but he chases them all around, nipping everyone. My boss cory breaks up the fight every once in a while, she's an odd little thing. One of these days when I empty all the pics from my camera, Ill take a video. my tank is pretty lively now :)

Do the loaches have a little cave in the QT tank? maybe he likes some time to himself...

I think that its actually swimming up through the outtake, dont see a path from the intake to the filter area that the little guy could get to.. I gave up yesterday and left him in the filter and I counted six when I went back down there earlier. So he came out on his own.. lol a couple more weeks and they are going into the big tank.
smile.png
hope it goes good. Then I am going to get some more tigers.
smile.png

fish.gif

You could also drop the water level a bit, I suppose...

I have a similar problem with barbs only deaths in a community tank. Though my problem is not acclimation. A week ago I had 8 established 2yo tiger barbs and they looked crook a couple of days after a routine 33% weekly water change. I now have only 3 left and one of those is on his way out. Ive never had prblems with the barbs but they have really taken a hit. Are tiger barbs especially susceptible to ammonia?. I changed out the carbon bag which i connect to an aerator but left the old one still in the tank (sans aerator). Other than ammonia my parameters are good:
Temp 26C
Ammonia -0.8
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH - 7.0
Any ideas on why the TBs are the only ones affected?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Normally we prefer it if you start a new thread. It makes it easier to follow. However, since we are here.

If the fish started developing problems after you did a water change, there was probably something in the new water. Do you dechlorinate new water before adding it to the tank?

If the water company did work on the pipes recently, they would have increased the chlorine/ chloramine levels in the water and if you add straight tap water to the tank, the fish might have been poisoned by chlorine.

All water should be free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to any aquarium or pond containing fish and or other aquatic organisms.

------------------------
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

Ammonia that is 0.8ppm should not be a big deal in water with a pH of 7.0. If the pH was higher (say 7.6+), then it would be an issue. But at 7.0 it shouldn't be a problem.

That level of ammonia could be from the dead fish.

------------------------
Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the remaining (and or dead if available) fish and tank?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back