Dying Tiger Barbs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Okay, i tested my tank water and it wasn't zero anymore
smile.png
it wasn't at 5.0ppm, but it was somewhere in the middle between 0 and 5.0. That still doesn't sound ideal though. I noticed a big difference after shaking the #2 bottle though, it was a much thicker liquid. I tested my tap water (it's been sitting for 24 hours now) and it's zero, so atleast that is good.

I test the 24 hour tap water for my ph too, and it's actually higher than what's in my tap, about 8.2!! No wonder the ph in my tank is so high. Im going to get some peat moss today and try that...

That's not uncommon. Many of the gases that are naturally in the water, like CO2 when under pressure lower the pH, so that when it has a chance to gas off, the pH rises. (Which is why you wait 24 hours to test it, because in the tank, the gases will leave.... which is why sometimes when doing a water change or filling the tank up, you see the gas bubbles on the surfaces, like the glass. That's the gas coming out of solution with the decreased pressure.)

If using peat to lower the pH, be sure to SLOWLY add peat, and continually change the peat. Also, be sure to add new water SLOWLY to the tank as well - you will need to give the fish time to acclimate to differences in the pH, etc. with the peat versus no peat.

wow, i really didn't even think of that! Im so glad i checked this, I literally just got home with a big brick of peat moss :eek: thanks eagles!!

Let's just hope that it was one of those weird/random fish deaths. Think positive! The QT tank looks great! it is like a little retreat tank hehe. EEEK!! I still can't get over how funny these little loaches are! They move so differently, like a water caterpillar or something, they're so weird but awesome at the same time. i HAVE to find room for some of these guys... I saw you have a james findley video, that's funny b.c I watched a video of his on thegreenmachine.com and it was the inspiration for my tank, it was called "reciprocity". I sat in amazement for the 45 min walk-through, his tanks are too cool
wink.png
im so getting some loaches lol

hey guys, ive noticed when everyone gives their water test results, they always have nitrates. But every time i do my test, my nitrates are zero. every time. Since I switched tanks, Ive done a test every day and I have had a single spike, ammonia and nitrites are both zero. But should i have some nitrates, or am I ok here? hmm...
Yeah a friend of mine told me to look up "Natures Chaos". Oh my what a beautiful job he did on that tank. Have not taken the time to watch any other ones but like you said i sat through the whole thing with my jaw on my desk drawer covered in drool. If only I could land a job like that. Would be like heaven!!!!

Glad you got your nitrates thing figured out. Had not been on in a couple days.. i was surprised after all the water changes that my nitrates didnt disappear.. lol but they were still there.

Your tank is coming along good greenmumma, And once the plants fill out it will just look amazing, i'm thinking my cabomba is not going to make it with the tiger barbs, Maybe i should pluck some more and throw it in the little tank with the loaches. They would like that i'm sure. We will see what tomorrow brings for me!

Aw dang... now i'm watching the one you suggested.. lol This stuff is so addicting

it really is addicting. The calming music and brittish voice is very soothing haha. But that's where my hill with stones came from :) Wish I had a bigger tank to get two hills in but ce la vie I guess :) I was eyeing the wee little polka dots in petsmart today, but i had to resist. I need to find a little more space in my tank i think, which means the "master stone" will have to go
bye2.gif
so I can make some more hiding places. Thinking of trying my luck with some pvc... I want to cover it with something but moss is expensive, maybe Ill try some sand... hmmm......

Thanks for the compliment on my tank, I am very happy with it, I even ordered some more plants
shifty.gif
which i should get this week
whistling.gif
... and im sure there will be many more pics in my journal haha.

Ive been toying with the idea of keeping both bolivian rams and GB rams together..? I saw some bolivians today along with a single tiny gb ram (it was a very tempting day lol) and the bolivians were a little aggressive with each other, they def. wanted their own space... SO i was wondering if I had one bolivian, could I also keep a male german blue? if not a male, perhaps a female? hmm, I can't really find any info and keeping both of the species together... which brings me to my next point lol...

I think I am having some luck with the peat moss. so I will have to make a decision on these rams soon :yahoo:

GBRs need higher temps than most other fish (78-85F), meanwhile Bolivians prefer (74-78). You could have both of them a bit upset at 78 degrees, but I'd aim for 82-83 for the GBRs and 76 for Bolivians.

Very calming andinspiring indeed. Gave me some ideas for my tank in the couple i watched. Im not used to people other than me liking those sort of videos. My g.f dont understand how i can think about fish stuff so much let alone watch those videos... But i really enjoy them. I really like the looks of the bolivians also. Maybe i could find some room in my other tank thats supposed to come down soon. I think one wouldnt do bad with the clowns though if i added it to my main tank. The clowns are bigger.. Lol i dunno though. I like my current look of fish i have now

I felt the same way about the rams, but then they only get two inches. My only thing is deciding to just have one lol..

I am sure my husband thinks Im crazy too haha. I love watching those videos, and the tips for aquascaping on that website were really interesting to read through as well. A lot of things that helped to point me in the right direction.

My newest addition to the tank. Took me a while to get it out from under 3"of oce in the small pond but i got it!!! I would like moss to grow up it when it comes in the mail. As well as my other stick

2013-01-20114020.jpg

Nice stick... I stole a few fallen branches of a neighbor's lawn... Now I just need to get it stripped and then get it waterlogged enough to sink.

stripping them is not easy. even if they have been dead for a couple years.. Then I soaked it in my pond for about a month. and drilled a hole in the bottom to tie a flat stone to it and buried the stone for the anchor. Works pretty well I would say. It was still pretty buoyant when I put it in.. Oh well :)

GBRs need higher temps than most other fish (78-85F), meanwhile Bolivians prefer (74-78). You could have both of them a bit upset at 78 degrees, but I'd aim for 82-83 for the GBRs and 76 for Bolivians.

I didnt see this earlier. Eagles, you have all the answers lol. That cross gbr's off the list for me then. What are acceptable numbers to keep of bolivians? I cant have a large group but 1-3 I would prefer...

after reading up on these guys I agree. I think I will try to find 1m and 2f, but atleast 1m for now, finding a female will probably be harder and I want to make sure I get it right, I hate bringing fish back to the store, especially when my new tank is so awesome
tongue2.gif
haha

I hate when people have a go at Tiger Barbs yes they can and I do stress CAN be nippy but the larger the shoal the less they are aggressive.

It doesn't matter how big the group is, they are still aggressive to each other. That is the whole point of a bigger group, to stop them picking on other fish. The smaller the group, the more the aggression spread from them to other fish. The larger the group, the more contained the aggression.

As for an answer to your problem,

Just an update. Tigers are doing wonderful. I did lose one of my bn plecos though and one of my new loaches has taken residence in my internal filter. I take everything out and scoop him out to find him back in there the next day or the day after. Any ideas to stop this??? Lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back