Dying Tiger Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I extend my condolences. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. Sorry for your struggles and losses.

Thank you eagles. Very frustrating and heart breaking at the same time. I also just noticed that my small clown liach is not doing well either. Have had it for three years and has not grown at all. The other two i got with her are almost tripple her size. She was swimming around like she was lost so i netted her and qt'd her so i can watch. This has just been a horrible month for me.

The weird thing is she was the most active always first up for food. Even last night. But wouldnt eat today. Well i will keep an eye on her... Hope this dont keep going.

All the other clowns are acting completely normal.

Good news about the rest of the clowns... Some animals just have problems, especially in the pet trade as inbreeding causes a LOT of problems. My brother-in-law got a "pure breed" (I read that as "inbred") beagle. It had a birth defect where the blood never went through the liver, so everytime he fed it, it was slowly being poisoned. He put it on a special diet, to prolong things, but it was a death sentence. The shame of it was that the beagle and my son were born about a month apart. They grew up together. By the time my son had his third birthday, they had to put the dog down. My brother-in-law was heartbroken. The sweetest of all dogs I've ever met, and the only one that my son actually was able to bond to. They got along great, and my son would chase him. All the other dogs my son would run from.

If that fish hasn't grown the same as the others, chances are that there is some defect with the fish. I hate to say this, but I fear that you are in a losing battle with that fish. The inevitable may be taking place.
unsure.png
This is worst part of being a pet owner... The benefits are great, but times like this make you wonder why we put ourselves through it...

Wow. That is a very sad story. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your son will find another puppy he can bond with!
I have never heard of that problem with anything. Very scary! Sounds like your brother in law gave the pup a good loving home and grew up with a good friend! Sad how things work out..

We just had a chihuahua that we had to put down due to him eating something that punctured his intestines and he had a major infection by the time we figured out anything was going on. Was very sad because he was the most loveable dog that I had ever known, Not to mention he was my girlfriends favorite dog. They hit it off from the beginning. We had him about a year.

Sadly for me I have known for the last year that something was just not right with her/him. so its not a big shock. But just as everything else it dont matter what you knew when the time comes it still bites. She has been my favorite fish out of the whole tank because she had the most personality and was out swimming around all the time where the others liked to hide in the rocks more. Its the chance you take when you get anything living. I'm happy that i gave her a good comfortable home for the time she was here.
smile.png

Understood.

My son is about to turn 7 now, so its been a while. ;-) My brother-in-law has two beagles now. Neither is as great as the first - that's why he's got two. Trying to compensate, I suppose. He doesn't have kids, the dogs are the "kids", if you know what I mean.

Oh goodness, I feel your pain. We actually just had to put our beagle down, Oct. 3rd. He was only 3 and I brought him in for what I thought was a bad stomach ache, he tended to eat everything from toys to markers to rocks lol and it turned out to be lymphoma. He was only 3 :( We have 3 kids, so I know how you feel. It's really really tough being a pet owner at times, but we keep doing it.
sad1.gif

So sorry about these tigers, I can't imagine what the heck is going on, I know you must be really frustrated. I hate to say it, but I really think it's got to be them, or the place you're getting them from. I just don;t think your other fish would be so healthy (bless your little clown, i always fall for the funny little ones too) if there was something going on in your tank, it's just really weird. Keep your head up and don't give up!!!!
thumbs-up.gif

Sorry to hear about your beagle.. :( very sad thing.

The larger tigers are doing great so i put the six of them in my main tank and got some more large ones and two bristle nose plecos. Hopefully they will do good like the the others.

Thanks again for the help and support everyone

Sorry to hear about the beagle. My old cat went downhill in no time with malignant tumor and kindney infection and didn't even need to be put down as he died within days. Even a vet couldn't help him, so I wonder how many fish die just like that too, which is impossible to diagnose in most cases for the peace of mind if I may say.

Yeah... its the unexplained deaths that are the toughest to deal with...

Sorry to hear about the beagle. My old cat went downhill in no time with malignant tumor and kindney infection and didn't even need to be put down as he died within days. Even a vet couldn't help him, so I wonder how many fish die just like that too, which is impossible to diagnose in most cases for the peace of mind if I may say.

Wow Snazy, That is weird! Our family cat that i grew up with just got diagnosed with cancer. He still lives at my mothers house about an hour and a half from here. It started out as a lump on his neck and they removed it and he seems to be doing ok now.
He is nearing twenty years old also. Crazy.. I'm not sure he will make it due to his age but he may prove me wrong again.
There was a period of time about 6 years ago the vet tried to tell us to put him down he was so sick and we chose not to. he got better and has not been sick since. Hard to belive with a 18 yr old cat now.. We will see what happens.

Today i put the 6 large tiger barbs that were doing good in my main tank. They seem to be doing good except two of them just cant get along now that they have all that space to deal with.. kinda funny they lived fine in the 20 gal. Will have four more to put in with them next weekend as long as they do as good as the others. Will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!!

I don't know what it is with vets to be honest wanting to put down animals easily. My cat fell from the 4th floor 2-3 years ago and shattered his leg and pelvis to pieces. The vet offered to put him down first it was so bad. He had to stay locked in a cage without moving for a couple of months after the operation only with supervised "walks" in the room to recover. The vet was saying how I'd need to clean his poop and pee and it will be a messy job because he won't be able to go to the toilet. He was very detailed explaining it to me like he was trying to put me off. I said I don't mind...
smile.png
The poor cat couldn't stand on his legs but the first day I let him out of the cage for a few minutes he dragged himself by his front paws using the carpet and I found him halfway into his toilet trying to stand up.... but with two legs only it didn't work...... I lifted him up and held him with my hands while he peed and poop and he let me do that for the entire time he couldn't walk and would wait religously morning and evening... Unlike my puppy, who is still being toilet trained, peed in her bed numerous times, and regularly hides in the corridor for a sneaky one even now. I've literally lost weight
smile.png
walking her ten thousand times a day and she'd still do it inside...

Yeah it pisses me off. We found a vet thats almost an hour away and they charge like half of what everyone else around here does and they dont push things like that they want to help.. Emergency c section on my 2lb chihuahua was 300 vs the 6 or 800 they would have charged here.
Anyways yeah we have 3 chihuahuas that have been trained to go on a potty pad and one of them will only poo by the front door. Even in the summer time when we let her outside it seems she does it more by the door than anything! very frustrating but at least she pees on the pad.. ha..

Glad to hear your kitty had very very good and patient owners. Very rewarding when they are all healed up. They remember those sort of things and bond with you even more during those times. :)

Very nice!

They look amazing, and nicely settled in.

Eeekk!!!! Your tigers look great!!! You just completely sealed the deal for me, I will def. be getting a little group of loaches for the new tank, except polka dots. I've never seen a video of loaches before, they are sooo cool. The clowns and tigers look really great together too, what a neat combination :) Tank looks awesome!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back