Dying Swordtail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is it me, or has nobody mentioned his increasing ammonia?.5 before water change? Way too high. Combined with high nitrates and there is a toxic cocktail the fish are swimming in
lol I thought the same thing too, but wasn't sure since it wasn't mentioned. Ammonia is down to 0.25 ppm. Is that still too high?

My ammonia always tests at .25 but I know it’s Ammonium. When I use free ammonia test kit it is 0. Our water suppliers put so much in our water these days. If yours uses Chloramine instead of chlorine, your test can come out with readings you really don’t have. I encourage everyone to keep ammonia alerts on their tanks to know if you really have an ammonia issue.

My ammonia always tests at .25 but I know it’s Ammonium. When I use free ammonia test kit it is 0. Our water suppliers put so much in our water these days. If yours uses Chloramine instead of chlorine, your test can come out with readings you really don’t have. I encourage everyone to keep ammonia alerts on their tanks to know if you really have an ammonia issue
What is ammonium?

What is ammonium?

Ammonia and ammonium are two of several forms of nitrogen. Ammonia is released by fish and some bacteria but the pH of the water determines the actual form according to the ions. Ammonia is also influenced by temperature as well as ionic strength. The more acidic (lower pH) the water, the more prevalent ammonium is over ammonia, and in reverse the higher the pH above 7 (more basic) the more ammonia predominates. Ammonia (NH3) is harmful to aquatic organisms, while ionized ammonium (NH4) is basically harmless.

That is why those of us with acidic aquaria (pH in the range of 4 to 6's) never have to worry about ammonia. Most aquatic plants also take up ammonium as their preferred source of nitrogen.

Ammonia and ammonium are two of several forms of nitrogen. Ammonia is released by fish and some bacteria but the pH of the water determines the actual form according to the ions. Ammonia is also influenced by temperature as well as ionic strength. The more acidic (lower pH) the water, the more prevalent ammonium is over ammonia, and in reverse the higher the pH above 7 (more basic) the more ammonia predominates. Ammonia (NH3) is harmful to aquatic organisms, while ionized ammonium (NH4) is basically harmless.

That is why those of us with acidic aquaria (pH in the range of 4 to 6's) never have to worry about ammonia. Most aquatic plants also take up ammonium as their preferred source of nitrogen.

That explains it. Thxs Byron.
Does that mean that I have to watch my ammonia a little closer since my ph is above 7?

That explains it. Thxs Byron.
Does that mean that I have to watch my ammonia a little closer since my ph is above 7?

Yes. Ammonia and nitrite should always test zero in a cycled and established tank. Having said that, there are a number of threads here where ammonia for some reason tests even in an established tank, usually around 0.25 or 0.5 sometimes. Chloramine in the source water apparently can account for this. Some issue in the tank itself might, unless live plants are present. In tanks with a decent growth of plants, and especially fast growing plants such as floating, it is not likely ammonia will ever be seen with our aquarium tests; floating plants are often referred to as "ammonia sinks" because of the effect they have taking up ammonia/ammonium.

I keep anacharis floating in all my tanks. Perhaps that too is why my ammonia alerts never go off.

I have hornwort in my tank. Not sure if that changes ammonia levels.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back