Dwarf Puffer With Ick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Daz CPFC

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I believe my dwarf puffer has become infected with what looks like ick (seems to have tiny white spots down one side) and i was wondering if you can cure a DP using a liquid medicine as i know thier skin is very sensitive as its porous. As ick needs to be killed in the actual water i know the medicene will need to go into the water and soaking the puffer food will do little to help cure him.

Thanks for any help!

Daz

I have no experience with ICH but I read that you could try the salt plus raise temperature treatment. I guess it's not as harsh as some of the ICH medications :unsure: . Hope your little DP gets well.

As isnail said, raising the tempreture a few degrees can cause the spores to hatch quicker :good:
Ick Is caused by stress, so leaving off the lights for a few days might help too.

Plus, as a rule of thumb, cut treatment dosages in half for sensative fish.

HTH,

Maximus

Just like to add.... Melafix or tea tree oil can relieve damaged skin caused by the parasites

Thanks all for the replies. Im not 100% sure if it is Ick but looks like it could be. Just seems strange its only down one side of his body. He is still as active as ever and still eating so strange. I will raise the temp a little and see if it clears up. Will also look into getting some Melafix but haven't seen any stores around here selling it.

Thanks for the help and replies!

You can try pure tea tree oil (100%) instead. It's more economical too. You can get it from ebay or heath stores or even supermarkets. They come in small bottles mostly. 1-2 drops for yor DP tank size. Good luck little puffer :)

As isnail said, raising the tempreture a few degrees can cause the spores to hatch quicker :good:
Ick Is caused by stress, so leaving off the lights for a few days might help too.

Plus, as a rule of thumb, cut treatment dosages in half for sensative fish.

HTH,

Maximus

ICH is not caused by stress at all? :blink: it is a protozoal parasite. The ich parasites actually have to be present in the aquarium to cause an infestation. Although stress lowers the fishes immune system, which makes them more susceptible to the parasite.
It is normally brought in on fish caught from the wild, or kept in poor conditions. Your puffer may have been carrying the parasite when you bought it, although the puffer was healthy enough not to become 'infected' at the time.

Raising the temp to over 70* will cause the spores to hatch, but the hatchlings cannot live in this condition and will die, doing this process, without salt (IMO) will clear the tank up in a week or two, depending on the volume of infection.
You may have to use a commerical treatment, as again, if the infect volume is high raising the temp will take a long time to kill it off, and your fish is already weak. Many scalesless fish such as clownloachs and your little puffer, maybe effected by the commercial treatments.

:good:
Also beyond a certain point of infection there is some times no return, and the fish die no matter what you do.

Thanks once again :good:

He is still swimming around happy and as usual. i'm hoping the tempreture rise will kill of the Ick and the little DP can survive. I was cautious about using any meds as i know there skin is very fragile so thats why i asked here :)

Thanks once again :good:

He is still swimming around happy and as usual. i'm hoping the tempreture rise will kill of the Ick and the little DP can survive. I was cautious about using any meds as i know there skin is very fragile so thats why i asked here :)

Don't forget to do more frequent gravel vac and water changes to get rid of the parasite cysts that remain in the tank. Tee tree oil is a natural antibacterial a lot milder than any commercial meds. Melafix is an equivalent but only contains 1% tee tree oil. I use tea tree oil in my DP tank and the DPs and Amano shrimps have been perfectly fine.

Edit: Tea tree oil is used for healing any wounds or infections not for treating the Ich btw.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back