Dwarf Puffer Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've finally picked up my tank today, it is currently full of water outside to check if there is any leaks

The tank is a second hand AquaOne AR126. It is in a fairly good condition, except for the little bit of algae in the corners, which I managed to get most of it off using a weak bleach solution.

The heater that came with it is unfortunately too small so I'll have to get to the LFS sometime this week and pick up a 50W heater as well as some new sponge, filter wool and ceramic rings.

I have a bit of sponge from my 5 gallon that I'm going to use to help the cycle along, I'll unfortunately have to use a little bit of dead shrimp for the cycle, as Ammonia can be hard to come across in NZ :/

I'm going to use this tank for a Dwarf Puffer, I'm still thinking if whether or not I should get one or two DPs, both options have there pros and cons. I'll be using a sand substrate with driftwood and rocks with the plants being:
Corkscrew Vallis, 
Hygrophila,
Crypts,
Baby Tears,
Anubias
Java Fern
I'm open to other suggestions :)

Here's a pic of when I got the tank home and removed the gravel and hood...

I've removed the background now, I'm going to replace it with some black paper.

I'll update when I start the cycle and get some more pics :)

Cant wait to see the end result! i love dwarf puffers, so cute.

Can't wait to see more pics c: Glad you were able to get the tank!

I'm very interested in setting up a dwarf puffer tank so am following this for tips and inspiration!

I added the shrimp this morning and its just sitting in the tank ATM. I tested about an hour ago and the results came back as 0.25 Ammonia and 0ppm Nitrite.
I'll test again in the morning and see if the Ammonia has risen.

Here's a pic from before I added the shrimp....

The shrimp I added...

After I added the shrimp...

I'm cycling it without substrate and decor as I heard that shrimp can be messy so I'm keeping it out for ease of maintenance :)

I'll add some more mature media in the weekend when I pick up the heater.

That's it for now :)

Went to the LFS yesterday, grabbed some bio-balls, rocks, a pot cave and a heater. I also added my DP :D

The only problem ATM is that I have some mold growing on the shrimp :/

Readings today...

1.0ppm Ammonia
0.25 Nitrite
5ppm Nitrate.

Some nitrate is being processed which is good, next time I'm at my LFS I'll be getting sand and some plants. :)

Newest pics...

The mold...

For some reason I'm not allowed to edit my post :/

I meant ordered my DP, not added :)

Moving along, yay :D

Oh man, Can't beleive I didn't see this earlier. I will watch intently from now on. :)

Just done some more tests and the results are....
0.50ppm ammonia
2-5ppm nitrite
20-40ppm nitrate.

Almost done 
winner.gif

band.gif

Going to the LFS tomorrow to pick up some plants and the substrate :D

Exciting stuff Blondielovesfish except I can't see your previous pics?

Only just noticed this thread this morning.

great news, blondie. im the same with shelster, cant see some of the pics.

Can see one of the pics. Good luck! how many gals total on that tank? looks small from the pic for 2 dps was told atleast 5-10g each depending on planting. they're definitely an interesting species good luck on the new tank!

Oh, sorry about the pics, I moved them to another folder on photobucket, here's the folder...
http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/blondfish/library/Dwarf%20Puffer%20Tank%20Pictures?sort=3&page=1

The tank is a total of about 9 gallons.
I was told that the 5-10 gallons is just for males ???? Apparently I can have one male and up to three females but I'll see what I do when I pick them up from the LFS :)

Added the substrate today, after hours of washing the sand the tank still went cloudy >.<
I only added some Java Fern today as I thought its probably best to let things settle first. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back