Dwarf Puffer Origination

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
I was wondering where the Dwarf Puffer originated from, where can a DP be found in the wild?

Or are they grown domestically?

I want to see where they come from, so that way I can try to "mimic" their environment for my new DP tank set up.

Thanks
-FHM
 
DPs come from India and Sri Lanka

found this which may help

Southeast Asia Back-Water
By: Robert Paul H.

Southeast Asia is home to many of the fish which are in most demand by hobbyists today. The backwaters of southeast Asia are both slow moving and thick with vegetation. Both above and below the waterline live many ferns and bamboo. The streams are packed with organic matter and stained brown by the iron rich red rocks that cover the bottom. You can recreate this environment with the following guidelines:

PH: 6.0 to 6.5
Hardness: 100mg/liter CaCO3
Temp: 75 to 79 degrees

Plants:

Bamboo Plant, Blyxa japonica
Giant Hygrophia, Nomaphila stricta
Recommended lighting:
3 watts per gallon of water
Substrate:

laterite
sand
red gravel
multi colored stones
pebbles
 
You also get south american DP's :)

Unlike Davo Im too tired to look up there habitat though :lol:
 
:lol:

Sweet thanks guys!

I will have to do some research now and see what their habitat looks like over there.

I want to make it as identical as possible.

One more question.

Do DP like to nibble on plants? I dont want them to destroy my plants...lol.

One more thing.

What is a DP scientific name?

Thanks
-FHM
 
What is a DP scientific name?

Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Colomesus species are from South America and include the originally named South American Puffer, although personally i wouldn't call them dwarfs
 

Most reactions

Back
Top