Dwarf gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

luxum

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So i'm considering getting a few dwarf gouramis for the restock of my tank. (For tank details see this thread ) Now here's the thing. As others have noticed, there seems to be a shortage of female dwarfs in the trade. I was planning on getting a male and 2 females. What if i can't find females? Will a single male dwarf get along with a shoal of small tetras or similiar? Or will he harass and stress them out without the females to occupy his attention? Should i consider ordering females, or just go with a single male?

Hello,

Maybe I was just lucky, but I have had dwarf gouramis off and on for the past few years (had to give up my fish each time I move), and they have always been the most skittish/shy in my tank.

I had a lone guy in my 29 gallon with 8 small neon dwarf rainbows and he didn't bother anyone. In fact, he looked as though he wished the other fish would leave him alone. By chance we came across a female, bought her, and now he's quite active. Too bad we only got one :-( I want more!! Unfortunately the fish store is 2 hours away. One of the on-line fish places do carry them from time to time. He's building a bubble nest, so we'll see what happens.

Hyla

most of the chain pet stores only carry the males, because they have the attractive color. if you any privately owned shops in the area, they may be able to get some for you. one here will only sell the dwarves in pairs.
as the dwarf variety can be extremely territorial, you best with only a single male in a smaller tank. he will be fine alone. didn't go to the other tread (sorry), but depending on tank size, if its a bigger tank, you might get by with two, but will need lots of plants for safe places and territory. though they can be nervous fish, and like said, may 'wish the other fish would leave him alone' :D

Yeh, it's a fairly small tank (20 long), so i would only consider a single male, or a small group with a single male and a female or two. If i could find any! I'm going to drive around to all the local aquarium stores this weekend and see if i can find any that stock or will order a couple females for me, otherwise i'll plan on a single and leave room in case i find females one day. Thanks for the input.

Check out Walmart. They have cheap Gouramis, and they even carry females.

The best thing to do is to ask them when they get their shipment and get the fish before they get messed up in their tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back