Dwarf Gourami Yawn? Also strange mouth shape???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gary1

Reaction score
I know my other thread is also the most recent post, but a lot led up to getting this fish so I want to make sure everything's aright with him.

With that out of the way, I've got two questions in this thread, 2 days ago I got a Royal Blue Dwarf Gourami, I was observing it today, and noticed these things, one, his mouth is kind of a weird shape, I tried my best to take a picture of it, but he was pretty active and it was difficult, here kind of a gist of what I mean:
Xy5M8Vk.png

His mouth just opens to a semi lopsided shape, he still eats fine, I just fed him before making this thread and he ate. Is this sign of any disease or something or is it just how he is, doesn't seem to be affecting him at all but I just want your guys opinions.

Second, this has me a little more worried, twice now, I've seen him make an extremely weird shape with his mouth, like he pushed his lips out. Even though this is a thick lipped gourami, it kind of looked like this.

CRW_8438s_960099.jpg

This has me a little concerned, does anyone know what he was doing?? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The fish looks fine. The weird shaped mouth is probably a genetic mutation caused by inbreeding. Fish yawn when they are tired or just woken up. It's common.

The fish looks fine. The weird shaped mouth is probably a genetic mutation caused by inbreeding. Fish yawn when they are tired or just woken up. It's common.
Haha thanks :)
Just wanted to be safe

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back