Dwarf Gourami with Dropsy

rykitten

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my dwarf gouramis isn't doing too well . . .

Yesterday and today he's been hanging out near the surface with clamped fins, breathing very heavily. I thought maybe the air stone was clogged so I changed it. He's still wedged between the side of the tank and the thermometer. :/

He has no signs of infection or disease, he looks great besides the clamped fins. I just went to have a look and he is darting around near the surface, swimming sideways.

Any ideas?

I do 65% water changes once a week. Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 No pH or Nitrate kit handy.

Thanks,
Riley

An update:

His "feelers" are half gone and are stringy at the ends :/

I started treating withe Melafix today. Any suggestions are still appreciated.

Hi rykitten :)

It sounds like a case of finrot, which is bacterial in origin. Are your other fish showing any unusual symptoms?

MelaFix is a mild anti bacterial agent and it might help, especially since it seems to be developing slowly, but if there is no improvement in a day or two, you will probably have to move on to a stronger medicine.

It will also be helpful to keep your temperature no higher than 75 F. and increase the aeration, since this will inhibit the reproduction of these harmful bacteria and decrease the possibility that they will infect other fish. Frequent water changes will also help. :D

Thanks Inch and Cluttery.

He's in a 2.5 gallon by himself as the other fish have always bullied him. He's lived there for about 6 months. I did a water change this morning and throughly cleaned his house. I will lower the temp now. Hopefully he'll show some improvement soon.

Well, I think he has dropsy. His abdomen is VERY swelled and I the scales are protruding slightly. He's having a really time hard staying upright. When he does swim, his back half seems to be paralyzed forcing his head straight up. :/

Gor.jpg

Terrible pic, I'll try to get better.

Which dropsy med would be best?

It's okay Chooklet. I've read that dropsy is very hard to cure but I have to at least try. I just got back from the store and am trying Maracyn II.

I'll let you know if it's successful.

Hi rykitten :)

Chooklet is right, there is really not much you can do when a fish has dropsy, especially once it gets to the point that its scales stick out. But, I'm like you; I like to think that as long as there's life, there's hope.

Good luck with the treatment. I hope you can pull him through.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your fishy. :(
I had a betta with dropsy, very sad to watch. I was told epsom salt baths are supposed to help. Though my boy was too far gone by that time. I can't remember the consentration of the epsom though.
Best of luck, Erin

250 mg of chloramphenicol added per gallon of water will usually cure it also add a bit of salt although Gouramis are not marine fish salt water has lower osmotic pressure so when a fish has dropsy the protective coating wears away so the fish has the trouble of expelling all the extra water goin in to its body. The salt will help keep down the amount of water entering the fishes body therefore it gives your Gourami more time to recover without having the trouble of expelling all the extra water.
Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic and is usualy dangerous to handle that is why it is better to let a fish vet cure the Gourami.
GOOD LUCK!
HOPE THIS HELPS

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back