Dwarf Gourami: Nuts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No not really, but sad to say he will die sorry, always check the ph at the store, as if there is a big difference it can take ages to climatise them, sorry again.

Ok, good luck anyway.

Thanks for the advice though, your sure there's nothing that can be done for him? Despite eating all my plants I got rather attached to him.

I doubt this is pH shock now. Gouramies react very badly towards fluctuations in pH compaired to many other fish but they usualy only survive a couple of days or they adapt and recover fully. Even if it is pH shock, don't do anything. If you try to alter the tank conditions now, you'll only make things worse. The only thing I would suggest is to do lots of regular small water changes. Also, if you have any bogwood/driftwood in your tank (though, with a pH of 7.2 it's unlikely that you do) make sure it isn't leeching any excess tannins into the water and causing more pH changes (a drop in pH in this case).

Check all your water parameters to make sure nothing else is a'miss. Also check the temperature of the tank. If it's above 78 deg F, lower it a bit (gradualy though). Keep a close eye on your dwarf - any signs of parasites? Ich or velvet or any chemicals in the water can also cause such behaviour (due to irritation).

Though there are many things that could be responsible for this behaviour, yours seems more like he's nervous due to being in a new environment. Oftentimes they'll spend a few days calm or hiding and then, suddenly, they seem to become aware of the world outside their tank and the slightest disturbance sends them zooming round. I've had this with lots of fish - not just gouramies. That's not to say that you should entirely ignore other possibilities - do still keep an eye on him - but don't give up on him just yet :)

My gourami seems to have relaxed a fair bit. He's always looked as he did in the shop tank (red with blue bits for the interested) and has made his home at the top of the tank. He does occasionally look outside of the tank (usually at me) and dart a bit but nothing like frenetic laps.
However I tested my tank so as to respond to the thread and thought I'd post the results.
Using a 'Tetra test 5 in 1' I get
No3 25
No2 5
Gh 10d
Kh 3d
ph 6.4

Tank temp was 80F but that's been turned down.

My gourami seems to have relaxed a fair bit. He's always looked as he did in the shop tank (red with blue bits for the interested) and has made his home at the top of the tank. He does occasionally look outside of the tank (usually at me) and dart a bit but nothing like frenetic laps.
However I tested my tank so as to respond to the thread and thought I'd post the results.
Using a 'Tetra test 5 in 1' I get
No3 25
No2 5
Gh 10d
Kh 3d
ph 6.4

Tank temp was 80F but that's been turned down.
NO2 5 and going from 7.2 ph to 6.4 ph. Wilder was right ph shock. And as the No2 is high that makes matters worse. You need to get the water prams. under control. What about the Nitrites? I would do as stated and change the water a bit at a time.

NO2 is nitrIte.

NitrAte, on the other hand, was 25. Low nitrItes and high nitrAtes suggests your tank is only just at the end of the cycling process. Dwarf gouramies are not a good fish to cycle with. Just be aware of that in future.

Anyway, whilst you did post nitrites and nitrates, you didn't mention the ammonia test - if you don't have one, get one. Ammonia is the most deadly of them all and also the first to appear when something goes wrong.

For the time being, just do frequent, small water changes like I said before to keep the water parameters udner control without shocking the gourami.

NO2 is nitrIte.

NitrAte, on the other hand, was 25. Low nitrItes and high nitrAtes suggests your tank is only just at the end of the cycling process. Dwarf gouramies are not a good fish to cycle with. Just be aware of that in future.

Anyway, whilst you did post nitrites and nitrates, you didn't mention the ammonia test - if you don't have one, get one. Ammonia is the most deadly of them all and also the first to appear when something goes wrong.

For the time being, just do frequent, small water changes like I said before to keep the water parameters udner control without shocking the gourami.
:blush: Sorry about that. Stupid mistake on my part. I always get them mixed up. :)

Well the Gourami in question managed to get stuck behind the heater during the night and passed on so it's all rather a moot point. Rest in peace sweet fishy, we hardly knew thee.

Sorry for your loss, R.I.P.

hehe i got two for my tank at first, one swam around for a while, the other like you said hid, the one that sawam round even attacked my thermometer, but they seem to have calmmed down now, i think it may have been ph shock that one had but not he other, pain in the #$% these dwafrs, but i luv em :D. o the one that didnt have any ph shock (if thats what it was) ripped through the plastic bag i was acclimatizing him in, (i cut little holes in the bottom of the bag to allow water flow) he ripped right through the bag, and seemed alot better than the one that went through my whole climatization processes! ah who has a clue about fish really??
Greg :blink:
Greg It's funny you said that dwafs are a pain in the a*s. I had them and they were not that peaceful and I said that they were a PIA to myself. They came out with a flame or sunset variation after I left the hobby but I don't know if their temperament is any milder.

Hi,

Was hoping to Hijack this thread a little :hey:

I have a similar problem but on the other extreme....

I have introduced 3 Dwarf Gouramis and 8 Neon Tetras to cycle my tank... (have just read that they are not the best to cycle with despite my research saying that they are quite hardy)

My tank is 108 Litre octagon, I have had the tank up and running for a week and a half and have had a perfect 6.8Ph all week also had the water tested today LFS and they said that the water was really really good! (nitrate, nitrite & ammonia)

I am running the temp at 25 degrees celcuis which fluctuates by only a couple of tenths of a degree during the day.. The filter is a fluvall 2 plus which I have cleaned in aquarium water 3 times over the last week. I am running a 300 watt light from about 1730hrs when it is just starting to get dark till about midnight. and have 5 plants in that have been in since day dot also have an oxygen pump in that I need to make smaller will be doing this weekend.. They dont seem to like the bubbles!

I Introduced everyone after a good 30 - 45 min climatization and they all took happy as Larry but now 24 hours later I have noticed the female Dwarf Gourami has become really lathargic she is swimming to the surface every now and again to get air (no one else is doing it) and then settling in the exact same spot!

But alas I have fallen in love :wub: with the wee lass and do not want her to pass on to that little Fishy heaven!

Any Ideas? or help

Cheers
The Joka

P.S. I am very new to the fish keeping game but I have researched this for the last few months

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back