Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus Spreeding

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hansenjake07048

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
a local pet store diognosed my  dwarf gourami with dwarf gourami iridovirus two days ago and put it down. i am unsure if my other fish in the tank have been infected. the tank is 34L heated at 30 degres. there are three fish and a snail that i had in the tank with the dwaf, an angel fish, fighting fish and the algae eater. both the Angel and eater munched on the dwalf but the only fish acting strange is the fighter. he spends long periods of time on the bottom of the tank. the PH levels in the tank sit at around 6, i change the water once a week around 30%, and introduced a pieace of drift wood a week before the dwalf begn to discolour. the fish are in bags sitting in the tank (only sourse of quarantine i have). i have cleaned out the tank and fliter but unsure what my next step is 
please help.

As far as I'm aware it only affects other dwarf gouramis. I know you didn't ask but your tank is much too small for the dwarf gourami you had and the angelfish and the algae eater. What kind of algae eater is it btw?
If you can get a picture someone should be able to ID it for you. Or if you can describe it we may be able to guess and you could look up a pic and see if what we guessed is correct.

Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What is the temperature?

the Algae eater was just sold to me as "golden Algae Eater 6cm" looks the fish in this link (Below) or most in a quick google image search. i have not got a test kit but will purchase on today readings of HP have come from litmus paper. the temperatureis 30 degrees. the angel fish is quite small (Around 3inch) would it be possable to leave in the tank till a later date or rehome now? 

"https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=Zs1Y4zIGDqEDiM&tbnid=Yu-b3sF37zTWcM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdianesdigitals%2F1228817321%2F&ei=tb-DU4fUKoqIkwWF0YGICg&bvm=bv.67720277,d.dGI&psig=AFQjCNEMy6HVSVCqQU4e7qwXsL3vs4a8bw&ust=1401229243610488"

That is a chinese algae eater and they get pretty big..also as they age they start going after fishes slime coat and stop eating algae as much or altogether.
I'd re-home the fish that are too big for the tank ASAP so that they don't get stunted. Or buy a larger tank if you'd rather do that. The only thing I'd keep in this tank is your betta and some snails.

Do you mean 30C? That's pretty high even for the betta that prefers warm temps. I'd drop it to 26 or 27. :)

test kit came back, general hardness of the tank sits around 40 ppm (mg/l), Carbon 40ppm (mg/l), ph 6.8, no nitrite , natrate level was 20 ppm (mg/l), yes i did mean 30C sorry ok will drop. thank you Ninjouzata you are extremely helpful. for this size tank if i got a bigger size for the angel fish etc. what cold be keeped in it Guppies and Neon tetras perhaps ? 

What's the ammonia at? Is it a liquid test kit or strips? Strips are fairly inaccurate unfortunately.

You'll want at least a..45cm? tank (sorry can never remember) for the angelfish as they get quite tall. It may eventually eat neon tetras and guppies so I would go with something larger and deeper bodied, perhaps diamond tetras? :)

You're welcome ^_^ Never be afraid to post questions on here, we're all happy to help.

it is the strips dosn't read the ammonia level just ph,nitrite,nitrate,carbonate and the genral hardness of the tank. product is API 5 in 1 test kit

Most reactions

Back