Dwarf gourami in trouble again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Carolinesugar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all, got a problem, and not sure if im rite or wrong abt it.

i have a blue dwarf gourami, who has in the past had a swim bladder problem, but he recovered completely, very quickly.

hes a strange lil thing, as wen he got put in the hospital tank with his gf who has now died :)rip: but it was a while ago now) he used to flip at the thermometre, and make it bang the glass, which i thought was his lil party trick cus he'd only do it if i wasnt lookin at him.

well im really worried abt him at the moment, i think he mite have hold in the head. although i am not sure, as not seen this happen b4.

he seems to be stayin very close to the top of the tank, n thats not like him, as hes usually all ova the place, or hangin out in the plants waitin 4 the guppys to give birth, babies to make it to the plants n then he eats them if i aint quick enough!

well along with hangin out at the top of the tank, he is flipping nxt to the breeder net (which has babies in, so i cant take it out). im not sure if he is flippin cus hes gettin stuck, n moving free, or if he has sumthing wrong again.

he also seems to have pin holes all ova his head, around his nose, and between his eyes. they look like lil pin holes but sum of them are black, n sum just seem like holes.

my friend thinks that it cud be fluke worms, n sed that cant be treated.

im not sure what is wrong with him, but im willing to do nething 2 save him! i have melafix, sud i give the tank a dose of this ? or shall i move him 2 the hospital tank, n treat with sumthing else ?

Quote :
"Hole In The Head (HITH): This is a common disease among larger Cichlids such as Severums and especially...Oscars. It appears as small holes on the face and around the eyes, that may have a white material growing inside them.

SymptomsIt appears as small holes on the face and around the eyes, that may have a white material growing inside them. Loss of appetite and whitish feces are another indication that may appear before the development of the holes.

Treatmeant A range of medication including Aquarium Pharmaceuticals-General Cure, Aquatronics- Hex-a-Mit, Aquatronics- Hex-A-Vital (especially for Discus, Angelfish and Oscars)"

Carolinesugar said:
well im really worried abt him at the moment, i think he mite have hold in the head. although i am not sure, as not seen this happen b4.

he seems to be stayin very close to the top of the tank, n thats not like him, as hes usually all ova the place, or hangin out in the plants waitin 4 the guppys to give birth, babies to make it to the plants n then he eats them if i aint quick enough!
I know it isn't a Betta, but this Betta site suggest maybe it's a bacterial infection - syptoms look similar, including holes/open sores..

Betta Diseases

Follow link and search for BACTERIAL INFECTION

Hope you find out, whatever it is...

good luck

Hi Caroline,

If you'll remember, I am having a similar issue. Gouramis have natural tiny holes on their faces, almost like pores. So it's hard to tell if it's HITH. Both of my Gouramis have little holes.

What is your lil guys other symptoms? Is he weak? Does he have any ulcers or missing scales?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back