Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dwarf Gourami Ill

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by DwarfGourami101, Sep 7, 2016.

  1. DwarfGourami101

    DwarfGourami101 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    GB
    So I need some assistance as I am all out of ideas at the moment,
    Fish backstory  (in case someone thinks it is in some way relevant)
    My Dwarf Gourami which I have had for over 3 years now (raised it myself) was a couple months back, badly injured (irrelevant as far as I can tell, just want to explain the damage that you will be seeing in the photo so you don't presume it is anything else) after he got stuck in a decoration and I had to practically pull him out, he (unsurprisingly to myself) got a fungus infection, that was treated and dealt with a few months back, so onto the current.
     
    Currently
    Only a few weeks ago I moved my fish into a new tank, a 180l (40 gallons) for him and one other dwarf gouramis (who has been fine during the experience) I noticed the dwarf gourami in question hadn't been eating a few days before the move but I didn't think anything of it, so fast forward 4 weeks and I still haven't seen him eat (I am presuming he is eating because I don't think fish have big enough fat reserves to survive off them for several weeks) but to say his condition has deteriorated would be an understatement, it's like he has hit a brick wall, he spends 90% of the time lying on various things, at the moment he seems to have chosen the top of the filter as his current spot but like I said it really does vary, and the other 10% of the time I see him swimming it is so he can get to the surface and take in a gulp of air (labyrinth organ in action) and then swims back down to the bottom, the only other time he moves it to head from lying spot to lying spot. This is confusing for me as the water parameters are not only ideal, they are exactly the same as his other tank (I pride myself on having consistent water parameters good for my fish) so that can't be the issue, is it a bacterial infection? I have noticed he is slightly bloated so I tried giving him peas and other foods high in fibre but he straight up refused to eat them and even when I try and essentially hand feed him he just looks at me like I'm an idiot.
    I don't want this fish to die in the long run because I love this fish and I have been through a lot with it but at the moment I just feel like I am keeping something alive that is just slowly and painfully dying, now I have no plans to euthanise him with clove oil yet the main reason I am here is to ask for your help, I don't know what is going on and I am hoping one of you does and can provide me with a cure for my poor fish.
     
    Couldn't upload the image as the file size is too big so I uploaded it to Imgur, click here to go and see it
     
    Thank you for reading my rather lengthy explanation and I hope one of you can help resolve this issue.
    Thanks
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Garnet55

    Garnet55 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    GB
    Hi,
    There could be a number of things going on:-
    Your fish may be nearing the end of its natural life which can be between 3-5 yrs for a healthy gourami. The injury it suffered may have caused trauma which could be ongoing and there is a possibility of internal injury?
    It may have an internal bacterial infection, so may be worth dosing the tank?
    It may be suffering from stress due to the injury and subsequent tank move. Is there any loss of colour?
    Could it be being bullied by the other gourami? They can convertly bully and you may not have seen it?
    Just a few thoughts.....
    Garnet55
     
    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page