Dwarf Frog Mishap

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The frog has been in the tank proper now for 3 days. He is swimming and eating well. The only difference between the 2 frogs now is that the one that was out of the tank looks to have slightly shorter toes than the other one on all four feet. Maybe he always did have! I'm now looking for differences.
I've always been able to tell them apart - the one that got out has dark skin and his spots aren't very obvious. The other one has lighter skin and his spots stand out clearly.

sounds like your frog is doing well. and don't stress about all of their little physical differences - each frog, just like people, will be a bit unique.

Just a quick update and query. I gave my tanks a quick check on the way to bed last night and found the frog that had escaped lying dead on the bottom of the tank. It was OK earlier that evening. It is definitely the one that escaped as the two are different colours.

Is it likely to have been as a result of damage caused when it escaped? Or is six months too long for the death to have been related to that?

I am so sorry.

How long have you had them? ADF do not live anywhere near as long as ACF....5 years is old for them. They could have been 6-18 months old in the petstore....then how ever long you had them....and the escape could have been traumatic enough to take its toll long term.

Just to be safe, do you know what your water readings are?

The water is good - ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate 10. I tested it this morning to be sure after finding the frog last night, as I always do if a fish/other creature dies.

I bought the frogs on 30 July 2010, so I've had them 19 months. So depending how long they'd been in the shop, it was likely to have been between 2 and 3 years old. There were no signs of the cause of death on the body - no redness, no swelling. Apart from the way its legs were stuck out, from its appearance it could just have been asleep on its back.

The other frog looks fine - though so did this one till it died. I'll be keeping en extra close eye on the other one for a while. I know that one is not really a good number to have, but will it be OK on its own? I'm reluctant to get another as I had to set up my QT for these frogs when I moved them out of the betta's tank, and I know that you should quarantine new frogs for a month before putting them in with an established one, which I now can't do.

I hate calling the frogs 'it' but I've never been able to decide what sex they are.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back