FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Planning to get a large tank at some point to either make a bigger barb community tank or to do Cichlids.

Ive just restored a 90x30x30 (22 long) tank which i thought would be a good idea to try some Cichlids to see if i like them before going big.

So im thinking along the lines of dwarf cichlids such as apisto's or a pair of say convicts or shell dwellers to see how i go.

Anyone got any recommendations for me to look into.

Params will be Ph 7.4 / ppm 230 (Gh13) :)

Last edited:
Your GH is a bit high for Apistogrammas, especially wild caught, but captive bred might be ok.
Captive bred Apistogrammas do best in water with a GH below 200ppm, wild caught do best in water with a GH below 100ppm.

Central American cichlids should be ok but most of them get too big for that tank.

The GH is too low for African Rift Lake cichlids.
African Rift Lake cichlids need a GH above 300ppm for captive bred stock, and above 400ppm if you get wild caught Lake Tanganyika fish.

If you add a bit of reverse osmosis (R/O) water you could go for Apistogrammas, or add some Rift Lake conditioner and go for Rift Lake cichlids.

They will be captive bred so thats a good option for me.

Would a pair of convicts be ok would you say?

Im thinking of having this as a breeder tank then moving them on to a 55g. But would like a Cichlid which would be ok to stay in the 22g long term

Convict cichlid Amatitlania nigrofasciata is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids. A pair can be housed in a 36 inch (90 cm) length tank. To be combined with any other fish requires a much larger tank. Medium hard to hard water (9-20 dGH), basic (pH 7-8), temperature 20-36C/68-100F. This is the "tolerated" temperature range [Fishbase] but the fish will be better within a more normal range with a maximum of 26C/79F. Males attain 10cm/4 inches though some sources report 15cm/6 inches; females slightly smaller.

Last edited:
Convict cichlid Amatitlania nigrofasciata is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids. A pair can be housed in a 36 inch (90 cm) length tank. To be combined with any other fish requires a much larger tank. Medium hard to hard water (9-20 dGH), basic (pH 7-8), temperature 20-36C/68-100F. This is the "tolerated" temperature range [Fishbase] but the fish will be better within a more normal range with a maximum of 26C/79F. Males attain 10cm/4 inches though some sources report 15cm/6 inches; females slightly smaller.
My water params would certainly be suitable for them. (Ill look into these more) however Id quite like a pair or a small group of cichlids that maybe i could move up to a larger tank in the future but i dont want any specie that couldnt live out their lives in the 22g. (Still at the planning stage so dont want to get fish what would out grow the smaller tank in case i dont move them up tank sizes)
Hope that makes sense:huh:

Ill keep looking into dwarf species :)

Thank you for the convict info Byron

I agree. I have kept a pair of them in a community (stupid me lol) and they have hurt my fish, my guppy (named Carrot) had his dorsal fin ripped whole and my poor swordtail girl had her pectoral fin and tail ripped and she got finrot, successfully treated, and now she's thin (I don't know why) and rest of my fish were really stressed. Everything because of the convicts.. and they also limit your stocking.. :no:

I agree. I have kept a pair of them in a community (stupid me lol) and they have hurt my fish, my guppy (named Carrot) had his dorsal fin ripped whole and my poor swordtail girl had her pectoral fin and tail ripped and she got finrot, successfully treated, and now she's thin (I don't know why) and rest of my fish were really stressed. Everything because of the convicts.. and they also limit your stocking.. :no:
Sorry to hear that :( i would only have a single pair if i had some

Sorry to hear that :( i would only have a single pair if i had some
They are better if they are alone, but male will also be aggressive towards the female. Before I gave away mine, the male ripped the female's tail in HALF :no:

They are better if they are alone, but male will also be aggressive towards the female. Before I gave away mine, the male ripped the female's tail in HALF :no:
Oh god, i think ill give these a miss then. Thats not good :( thanks

Would a group of Neolamprologus multifasciatus Work? I like these little guys

Oh god, i think ill give these a miss then. Thats not good :( thanks
It's better to be safe than sorry :( Maybe you could could give cichlids a miss? Or you maybe could get bolivian ram/s? They stay small and are more of a peaceful cichlids, though I would recommend you in getting just a feamle on her own, but with some community fish?

Would a group of Neolamprologus multifasciatus Work? I like these little guys
Shellies can be agressive too just like any other cichlids, but I'll leave this up to you. Maybe other members could help you in getting some.

Don't keep convict cichlids, they breed and you can't get rid of the young. Breed something interesting that sells.

Apistogramma cacatuoides are a good seller, easy to breed and you could have a pair in the tank with something else.

If you want a cichlid that is similar to the convict, look for Cichlasoma sajica or C. spilurum. They are much more peaceful than convicts and breed as readily.

If you want Rift Lake cichlids, the peacocks (Aulonocara species) are peaceful and some of the better selling cichlids.

I spent a long time breeding Apistogramma Agassizii. Brilliant fish really interesting great maternal instinct and I had fry coming out of my ears. Get the tannins going and get the GH down to 2dh and they spawn like crazy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back