Dwarf Cichlids - Which Is The Best?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jellychris

Reaction score
I have a 55 litre filtered tropical tank and I fancy a dwarf cichlid or two.
fish.gif

But here's the problem - which would be the most suitable for a community tank?
sad2.gif

And would I be better off getting one alone or a pair or even three - and of what sex?
Thanks, Chris

It's not big enough for rams or anything like that.
I think scarlet badis would work but they're rather aggressive.

I can't think of any cichlids that would be small enough for a 55l.

What is currently in there?

I wouldn't put any cichlids, even dwarfs, in anything less than 100l tbh. You could 'possibly' keep a breeding pair of apistos in a 55, but I think that they would pretty much need to be the only fish. Even in my 240, they would use every inch of space on the bottom, and chase anything that came remotely near when they were spawning.

Electric Warrior said:
I wouldn't put any cichlids, even dwarfs, in anything less than 100l tbh. You could 'possibly' keep a breeding pair of apistos in a 55, but I think that they would pretty much need to be the only fish. Even in my 240, they would use every inch of space on the bottom, and chase anything that came remotely near when they were spawning.

Plus they can be quite aggressive to each other at times so there would be nowhere to hide. I wouldn't recommend it either.

I've kept and bred rams in a 30l tank but you need to be very careful.... one missed water change and they'll be going downhill quick...

Ben

Electric Warrior said:

I disagree with the 100l as I have a pair of Gold Rams in my 87l but I do agree I wouldn't put any dwarf cichlids in a 55l unfortunately. If you tell us what else you have we can recommend things for your tank :)

Depending on the foot print the best candidates would be Laetacara. They take up a very very small territory and are often found in very very shallow streams or on the shoreline. They are not migratory and dont get that big at all.

Mix them with a school of Ember Tetras or Green Neon Tetras and I reckon you have a pretty good tank.

For it to work though you want the tank to be long or wide rather than tall.

Wi

Wills said:
Depending on the foot print the best candidates would be Laetacara. They take up a very very small territory and are often found in very very shallow streams or on the shoreline. They are not migratory and dont get that big at all.

Mix them with a school of Ember Tetras or Green Neon Tetras and I reckon you have a pretty good tank.

For it to work though you want the tank to be long or wide rather than tall.

Wi

A 55l is usually a 2x1x1ft tank like mine was but then again, you can get some weird sized tanks these days lol.
I never thought of Laetacara though. I mean I knew I'd heard of them but didn't think they'd be any good in a 55l?

Their territories are pretty small - 6 inch square is a pretty good indicator but even then they are not overly aggressive even with eggs, they wouldnt hunt or chase fish continuously. They come from very still pools and ponds just getting carried in the current and lowering water levels in the dry seasons so in a 2 x 1 I think they would be okay - it is a minimum size but still possible and obviously bigger is always better - farm bred Laetacaras rarely get to their max size as well - quite comparable to something like Platies size wise IMO.

Wills

Wills said:
Their territories are pretty small - 6 inch square is a pretty good indicator but even then they are not overly aggressive even with eggs, they wouldnt hunt or chase fish continuously. They come from very still pools and ponds just getting carried in the current and lowering water levels in the dry seasons so in a 2 x 1 I think they would be okay - it is a minimum size but still possible and obviously bigger is always better - farm bred Laetacaras rarely get to their max size as well - quite comparable to something like Platies size wise IMO.

Wills

Ah lol, sounds good :) I like the sound of these hehe.

One of my favorite fish, not kept them for too long - want to get a second tank specifically for them soon :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back